Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burgc002

Made up my mind DX8 it is but now....

burgc002    122
I decided to go with dx8, well now i want to code a simple tetris clone...I know,stop moaning, anyway I have The Zen of direct blah blah blah, and I hear alot of people saying that to display 2d sprites, the author is doing everything the docs say you shouldn''t do. My problem is I dont want to learn incorrectly or have to unlearn bad habits. I have to admit I have a hard time with his code anyway. I always hated reading 6 chapters just so someone could say "Anyway I wrote a wrapper for you just use it and dont worry about the details".I''m rambling. So I was wondering if you were going to do a tetris clone with dx8 where would you start ya know? Has does one do 2d with dx8? Or maybe I just can''t learn this stuff heh, I hope not. Thanks for listening.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
My advice is: don''t give up! The first step is always the hardest one. And don''t use the code of somebody else. You can learn more when you do things yourself (btw the samples in such books are too complicated, buggy and bad written to fit your needs). Take a look at the sample programs which came with the SDK, look for some more sample code on the net. I think this is a better starting point than reading zillions of pages in a book. And finally, if it''s so difficult to you to write a 2D game with DirectX 8 you can use the old interfaces of DirectX 7 (they are still available).

burgc002    122
Thanks alot I hace decided to use the older interfaces, for now anyway. Your words are very encouraging. I have to say that this reply was the single most helpful reply I have ever gotten here.
Thanks again!!

Askadar    122
Well, I had the same problem, and decided to go with the old DD7...

Now I regret that, cause all the cool stuff like alpha blending and rotation is not available to me! I''m going to learn DX8 as soon as possible after I have completed my next two projects...

a person    118
you can do rotation and blending in dx7. you just need to code the effects yourself and becareful how often you use them (since you are doing them in software instead of hardware). even a semi decent blending and rotation should work well enough for most needs, even if its a bit slow. just keep the resolution down (640x480 and below).

Kaijin    163
Actually you can even do hardware alpha blending in DX7 by using Direct3D (just for the alpha blending, nothing else). I think there''s an article on GameDev about it somewhere but I can''t remember where.

- Kaijin