18 comments, last by Ravenshadow 22 years, 4 months ago
This is a DX8.1 problem, not DX8 ??
Advertisement
The links right. I just tested it.

www.cs.nmsu.edu/~dreeves/archive/mars_win.zip

*sigh*

I was afraid it was gonna be an XP bug. damn it. Its too bad
I like XP. Ah well, I have my system running 98 and XP I guess
I''ll just stick with 98 for development until they fix it.

Thanks for all the help.

--Ravenshadow
I''m running XP and DX8.1 with an athlon & geforce2 MX400 and have no significant slowdowns, but I did have before I installed nvidia drivers (21.83) and also AGP drivers for my motherboard. Go into dxdiag and check that AGP acceleration is selected (assuming your card is AGP)!
I also run Windows XP with GeForce 2 GTS and the latest official NVidia drivers (23.11).

My own code runs well in this setup (using DX8.1 runtimes & SDK), and all the DirectX games I''ve tried also run well...Maybe a couple percent FPS slower than a comparble Win2000 or 98 setup, but nowhere near a 70fps->8fps drop.

Your program runs very slowly on my system, though...

8 FPS here too.... Are you sure you''re getting a hardware device? The only thing I can think of as to what might be wrong is a subtle bug that is causing you to render in software mode (are you using DX7 or 8.x SDK?)... From a purely visual standpoint, it looks like software mode (the terrain texture looks unfiltered and blocky, what settings are you using for it?).

Odd, I ran your little proggie and it maintained a solid 77 fps, sometimes more. Perhaps you''re doing something in your program that nVidia cards don''t support in hardware. Of course, this wouldn''t explian why it works in 98. Hmph.

I''m running WinXP with an ATI Radeon.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
s3202@attbi.com
P3-666, Geforce2 Gts, WinXP, DX8.1, Nvidia driver 23.11, 7 fps
P3-1ghz, Geforce3, Win2k, DX8.1, Nivdia 21.83, ? fps (Black screen)
Yeah, I get the same problem under XP (the black screen thing)
when I use old NVidia drivers. The Detonator drivers work better
but I still get the crappy FPS thing. I need to try it on a
non NVidia card. Reports are that it runs fine on an ATI Radeon.

hmmmmm....

I''m gettin'' a hardware device when the device is created
(i.e. D3DDEVICETYPE_HAL, not a HEL or REF) I''ve tried cutting
the drawing code out of the render loop and it still runs poorly.
*grumble*

Stupid NVidia/XP

--Ravenshadow
21.83 = old driver?

btw: The link work fine today, guess my DNS-server didnt knew the adresse.. ?

Maybe you are initializing DX8 wrong?
You should not get that losy preformence/black screen?

btw: It was on a Win2k I got the black screeen..

You get slow preformence when not even drawing anything???
The problem is more than just NVidia/XP.

My code runs fine under my current config (GF2, XP, AMD1.2ghz), every D3D game I''ve played on this setup works fine too. I''ve only seen the extremely slow performance on the demo you posted.

Just because it runs OK under ATI cards doesn''t mean it isn''t a bug in the code. There''s probably something in the init routines that is doing something non-standard or bugged and the ATI driver simply ignores it, but it trips up the NVidia driver.

If you want to send me the code to your project, I''ll take a look at what might be happening and try to assist you in fixing it. Other than that, I''m afraid I can''t really offer any help other than to tell you to recheck all of your init routines -- insert printfs and asserts or step through it in the debugger and make sure everything really is going the way you assume.
I had the same problem as well. I recently switched to XP and I noticed my framerate dropping to like 20 when my games usually run at 150+ fps.

I was having this problem even after installing the new DetonatorXP drivers, but after installing the Win2k/XP refresh rate patch, the framerates actually ROSE from what I had in WinME.
-RelisH!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement