Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PsycoBlade

Landscape question...

PsycoBlade    122
1. Can we hope to see CLOD geometry reduction in your landscape engine engine sometime in the future? I really like how it allows for greater view distances. 2. If I want to have some PR terrain in my program, but I don''t want any of the high-level engine, is there a way to load a stripped down version of the terrain engine? All I want is to draw the landscape triangles and be able to check collision with them, I don''t need a skybox, water, entities on the terrian, soft shadows, BSPs, or any of that high-level stuff, just purely terrain triangles drawn. Is something like this possible? -Rich

ChrisE    184
1. Won''t happen. The engine is optimized for hardware T&L and that means changing vertices for LOD is not a good idea. This is why people are abandoning the ROAM algoritm and just letting the card draw the entire terrain.

If you want greater view distances use a height scale of less than 5 and make your characters small.

2. Yes. The low level terrain engine is still available. The high level engine source is available so you can look at the calls it makes to the low level engine.