Compilation Errors: SDK Examples in MSVC++ 6.0

Started by
5 comments, last by Rufeooo 22 years, 4 months ago
I opened the .dsw files in MSVC but they won''t compile. None of the updated directX structures are recognized,( "LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7" and many of the other strucs from newer verions). I am running DX 8.0, I''m unaware of why I should be having difficulty with this... Anyone have an idea what might cause this? ~Alan
Advertisement
Include the file / lib for the thing.
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
quote:Original post by Rufeooo
LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7... I am running DX 8.0

Which headers? Did you upgrade to the 8.0 SDK as well, or only the runtimes?

If you upgraded the SDK, DirectDraw has been subsumed into Direct3D. You can still obtain DX7-specific interfaces, however, by explicitly defining which version of the SDK to work with:
#define D3DSDK_VERSION 0x0700 

or something like that. You should then be able to query for a DirectDraw interface as usual.

It''s in the docs - read them.
It''s in the docs - read them.

The documentation is HUUUUGE. Are there certain regions which contain little goldmines of information that i should know? Or should i devote a month to reading it all? At first glance I thought the documentation was written by microsoft''s marketing team, not the programmers.
~Alan
What errors are you getting? compiler? linker? runtime? Paste the sepcific errors so we can give you an exact answer.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Sounds like the SDK isn''t installed, just the runtimes.
Just add the lib dxguid.lib to your project, it should permit you to compile DX7 code with the dx8 SDK

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement