Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadProgrammer

What was your first game?

I''m just curious. What did you people start out with as your first game, and how old were you, and what year did you start game programming? I taught myself directx about 6 months ago, at age 15 (was in comp sci 2 in high school), and the first thing i pick up is a big game (2d iso, multiplayer online third person shooter), programming by myself. I know i should have started with something like tetris or pong or something, but i just jumped right in. I have the Game Programming Gurus book by Andre Lamothe, and i looked at the examples, got bored, and started making my game. I am currently finishing up the networking code using winsock, and am about to release an alpha. I know i kinda started the unorthodox way, but...... So, i''m just curious, what you guys started with.....

A little memory game on my Commodore 64 when I was 6, does that count?
If we''re going for modern-day technology, then a little RPG I did for my TI-85 in high school (I was 15 or 16, I think).

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------

First game ever: Text based adventure called Castle..I was around 18..

First video game: Tetris clone with little guys running around that you squashed with the blocks..I was about 23..

First professional game: Crimson Storm, a training FPS for the USMC..started when I was 27, finished when I was 28..

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."

Edited by - monkeyman on December 17, 2001 2:28:07 PM

The first game I made, err am making is a third person RPG game, I am 14, but I doubt this game will fo far

En taro Adun!
Doom to all who threaten the homeworld!
*Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

I didn't/don't really count it, but you may, a tic-tac-toe game for windows, I think I was 15.. I don't know, I have a pretty poor memory for my timeline
But! I was designing games when I was younger, who wasn't.

No, wait.. I made a puzzle game in qbasic when I was somewhere around 13 or 14. I enjoyed it, I even had a theme song. Sadly, I lost the whole thing.

Edited by - Militant on December 17, 2001 2:52:58 PM

OK, I''m going to show my age here - I wrote a football game on the C=64 back in 81-82, I was 16. I wrote game before that but my football game actually used the HI-RES graphics functionality of the C=64. It also had a flat database that contained player ratings and statistics - it also had a stand alone player editor.

The code was lost in a move - man was I bummed.

Dak Lozar
Elysian Productions, Inc.

I wrote Bug Hunt Extreme, which is still (amazingly) at www.download.com! (http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10036-100-1547254.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.1547254)

I wrote it in QBasic when I was maybe 14. I''m 18 now. The reason it says Febuary 2000 is cause I pretty much rewrote it for version 3. It doesn''t do much more, but it works totally different, more like it should have.

quote:
Original post by SonShadowCat
can you find the goodness in your heart to send me the source code of you text game?

i would really appreciate it

"Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose"

Sorry, I haven't had that source code in a LONG time..I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, though..text-based games can get pretty complex(if you want them to), but they are very easy to start with, and there is no limit other than your imagination(and no graphics

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."

Edited by - monkeyman on December 17, 2001 3:42:49 PM

Hmm... I don''t remeber really but.

It could have been "In USA for money" I made that when I was about 9-10 in Qbasic. In that time I also did games like Terrorism, Doom 3(I did it first!) even Domm 9

All in Qbasic. Then I did "The one armed bandite" which was my first commercial game when I was 11-12 got about 5 USD. I also did Bandite 2 when I was 12 and "The Ted Man Uno" (Don''t ask me about the name). In this time I also did a short "fake 3D" diagram. Kinda cool though

I have many many more Qbasic games.

Later I moved on to VB and made a sim city type games(with drug plantages and it was turned based). Later I moved on to DJGPP + Allegro and started on City Mayhem: Drug Dealer. Which looked very promising but never got finished.

The first true C++ & DX game I did was "Santa in trouble" which I sold to Crystal-Ineractive for $200

And after that I made HemoHes World Championshit 2001
(version 1.4 got released a few days ago)

checkout:

http://www.geocites.com/area51/hollow/1002 (download bandinte 2)

http://virwar.8m.com (all links are broken, but there are still screenshots etc.)

http://hemohes.4t.com Best game ever! Try it!!! I promise you''ll like it

/MindWipe

Fun topic

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."

Guest Anonymous Poster
For me, it was a VB game called "The Raging Box" when I was 15. All I had available to me was the school''s visual basic language reference and a compiler on one of the school''s computers. I lived in a small isolated town where no one else programmed. My game was a pong clone, except with personality. The main character who served as your pong paddle was a red box with a face on it. His job was to protect his garden from a flying circle. The game had voice overs done by myself and a soundtrack by my favorite band Bad Religion. The main character was a box because I did not know how to make parts of the sprite transparent eheh.

I started out with some simple text and graphical games in GW-Basic. Then I redid Akalabeth (Ultima 0) with the original source to be completely updated to 386-486 standards. I made really simple racing games with square blocks, similar to some of the early racing games on the nintendo. My newest game is another remake of Akalabeth but with a 3D engine running the dungeon. I nave never sold a game yet. I can supply you with some old Qbasic source code if you wish. I still have all of my code from grade 6 up till now, first year university. Just e-mail me if you want some of my source code.

Minerjr

Hmm... my real first game was a very silly gambling type game on Apple II. You bet on one car or the other, and it was rigged as to which one would win. First on a PC... a text-based hunting game written in QBasic. I started working on an RPG in Qbasic, but my graphics processes were too tricky for it

When I was ten I wrote a spy/thriller text adventure in Basic on my old Tandy (ah the goto statement). Many years later I moved up to graphical event driven games and did a MasterMind clone. Then when I was finishing up highschool I created two solitare variants, based off Osmosis and GAPS, using Visual Basic and the good ole GDI under Windows 95. Currently I started work on a jazzed up columns style puzzle game. Next on my list are Pacman and Mr. Do!, with the possiblity of a Rastan type side scroller afterwards. From there I hope to be done with college, have my BS, and be ready to find a paying game programming job.

Guest Anonymous Poster
My first game was a fighting game named "Fighting Spirit" for the Amiga 500. Good ol days (Not the well known commercial version) It was great fun but I also learned that making everything myself isn''t very good. Í spent about 2 years coding, learning coding, drawing, coding etc..

Mvh Mario

a remake of a TI-83 Plus game called Blockdude for the PC. It''s pretty much a puzzle game, but it gets prety addictive. I made a level editor to go with it to. I was 13 when it was completed (I''m 14 now, so it was actually like 3 months ago).

Did your file get a virus or is your coding always this bad?

I haven''t made a single game yet. I''ve written alot of DirectDraw apps that do different things (like creating a space invaders, asteroids, or defender type ship). An app that let''s you shoot at a target and does collision detection. A simple game AI that uses chase/evade tactics. Four different tile based scrollers that do different things (the last one adds a moving sprite to the "environment").
Up until that time I didn''t use any real timer code, just two int variables that were used to determine when to update things.
Since then I''ve added more elaborate timer code, DirectSound, and handle keyboard input using DirectInput.
I probably started C programming six, maybe seven years ago. I think I started DX programming about two or three years ago. Maybe now I''ll start to actually design a game, would it be worth the time and effort?
I''m not gonna say how old I am (ah, but to be a teenager again. Those were the days.)
Judging from the other posts here I may be the slowest learner, and the oldest too?

"A man can''t just sit around." ''Lawn Chair'' Larry Walters (1982)