What was your first game?

Started by
106 comments, last by MadProgrammer 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m just curious. What did you people start out with as your first game, and how old were you, and what year did you start game programming? I taught myself directx about 6 months ago, at age 15 (was in comp sci 2 in high school), and the first thing i pick up is a big game (2d iso, multiplayer online third person shooter), programming by myself. I know i should have started with something like tetris or pong or something, but i just jumped right in. I have the Game Programming Gurus book by Andre Lamothe, and i looked at the examples, got bored, and started making my game. I am currently finishing up the networking code using winsock, and am about to release an alpha. I know i kinda started the unorthodox way, but...... So, i''m just curious, what you guys started with.....
Advertisement
I started with a 2D platformy tank game, take a look here. I was about 16 at the time I think... and am 18 now...
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
A little memory game on my Commodore 64 when I was 6, does that count?
If we''re going for modern-day technology, then a little RPG I did for my TI-85 in high school (I was 15 or 16, I think).

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
First game ever: Text based adventure called Castle..I was around 18..

First video game: Tetris clone with little guys running around that you squashed with the blocks..I was about 23..

First professional game: Crimson Storm, a training FPS for the USMC..started when I was 27, finished when I was 28..

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."

Edited by - monkeyman on December 17, 2001 2:28:07 PM
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
can you find the goodness in your heart to send me the source code of you text game?

i would really appreciate it

"Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose"
--------------------------------- "Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose."- SSC Oh the possibilities!!Edited By - SonShadowCat on Your Girlfriends Birthday
Guess which number on cartridge basic. I think I was 10 or so.

ahhh, remember TRON and TROFF were bound to F-keys (on the left side of the keyboard)?
The first game I made, err am making is a third person RPG game, I am 14, but I doubt this game will fo far

En taro Adun!
Doom to all who threaten the homeworld!
*Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*
----------------------------------------------------------You know, I might as well go ahead and say I can't fix the problem... because that's when I figure out how.
I didn't/don't really count it, but you may, a tic-tac-toe game for windows, I think I was 15.. I don't know, I have a pretty poor memory for my timeline
But! I was designing games when I was younger, who wasn't.

No, wait.. I made a puzzle game in qbasic when I was somewhere around 13 or 14. I enjoyed it, I even had a theme song. Sadly, I lost the whole thing.

Edited by - Militant on December 17, 2001 2:52:58 PM
I'm not the brightest something or other in a group or similar.~ me ~
OK, I''m going to show my age here - I wrote a football game on the C=64 back in 81-82, I was 16. I wrote game before that but my football game actually used the HI-RES graphics functionality of the C=64. It also had a flat database that contained player ratings and statistics - it also had a stand alone player editor.

The code was lost in a move - man was I bummed.

Dak Lozar
Elysian Productions, Inc.
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
I was 9 and it was a color-character-mode space invaders clone with just one invader (QBASIC)

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement