Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tinmizer

Variables - VS - Memory limits.

Tinmizer    122
If I was to make an array 1024*1024*1024 and each variable was to store a number anywhere from -9999 to +9999 how many variables could I have before my system would lock up. I have 512 MB of RAM and 64MB of Video memory. Im looking to find the dimensions of an array that I could comfortably use while running other variables through the system at the same time without locking it up. Edited by - Tinmizer on December 18, 2001 7:14:10 AM

Kylotan    10008
Firstly, the system should never lock up under those circumstances. If it does, your OS is very bad

Anyway... video memory is (almost certainly) irrelevant for this discussion. A variable large enough to hold -9999 to +9999 is a short int, which is 2 bytes. So your array size you mentioned would be 2GB in size. It would probably just crash with a ''stack overflow'' error, a bad_alloc exception, or a NULL pointer from new or malloc, depending on how you allocated it.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

Tinmizer    122
NOTE: The 10% is only hypothetical.

So to get an array of this size to work I would have to fill about 10% of the array then save it to disk then fill another 10% and then to disk again until I had the full array filled. An when I wanted to use this info for something I would only be able to access 10% of it at a time because the system couldnt handle it all.
In other words I would be using the harddrive instead of ram because it can hold more info, but is slower.

Hairybudda    116
quote:
Original post by Tinmizer
NOTE: The 10% is only hypothetical.

So to get an array of this size to work I would have to fill about 10% of the array then save it to disk then fill another 10% and then to disk again until I had the full array filled. An when I wanted to use this info for something I would only be able to access 10% of it at a time because the system couldnt handle it all.
In other words I would be using the harddrive instead of ram because it can hold more info, but is slower.

Hence the name, virtual memory, thats what your paging file does...

*stoned*

a person    118
the reason your pc seems to lock up is because the os is getting the virtual memory form disk prepped. which takes awhile for 2gig on a harddrive (no matter how fast).

unfortunatly for you though, most ppl will not use an app that requires a 2gig+ file. so you just have to find another way. and this excludes making your own swap file.

why do you need such a large array? what are you trying to do?

Edited by - a person on December 18, 2001 2:54:10 PM