Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this code

Started by
8 comments, last by LegendNH 22 years, 4 months ago
It runs but for some reason it skips over every cinput statement except the first two: #include #include using namespace std; void main () { int number_of_students, a=0; cout << "How many names do you have to enter: "; cin >> number_of_students; //create dynamic array typedef int* intptr; intptr student_id; student_id = new int[number_of_students]; intptr midterm; midterm = new int[number_of_students]; intptr final; final = new int[number_of_students]; typedef char* charptr; charptr last_name; last_name = new char[number_of_students]; // for (a = 0; a < number_of_students; ++a) // { cout << "Students ID: "; cin >> student_idLink
Advertisement
You''re trying to read up-to 8 characters into a single character. Try this:
  // ...char *last_name[8];last_name = new char[number_of_students][8]; // ...// At the end (before the end of main) you MUST have this:delete [] student_id;delete [] last_name;delete [] midterm;delete [] final;  

Also, main is NOT allowed to have a return value of void. It must return an integer, and nothing else.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
it still does not work
Keep on working! SOME DAY IT WILL!

It would seem as though you are putting ++a as your 3rd statement in the for loop, when it should be a++
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
it still does not work

That''s remarkably helpful. If you want more help, give more details. Also there''s a small typo in my last post: change "char *last_name[8];" to "char (*last_name)[8];". Other than that, it compiles and works for me. Good luck.

quote:Original post by mkoday
It would seem as though you are putting ++a as your 3rd statement in the for loop, when it should be a++.

They both work, it doesn''t matter as long as the increment isn''t within a statement that is based off of the intermediate value of the expression. For example:
int a = 5, b;b = ++a;

The variable "b" is now equal to 6, and so it "a". However:
int a = 5, b;b = a++;

The variable "b" is now equal to 5, and "a" is equal to 6.

Thanks, Null and Void, after I posted that I did remember seeing ++num before.
quote:Original post by Null and Void

Also, main is NOT allowed to have a return value of void. It must return an integer, and nothing else.

Just wanted to point out that you should specify that it''s not allowed if you follow ANSI C standards but heck even my old college teachers used to teach us to use void main( void ) as the main function. But I agree with you, main should always return an integer....

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
you should get in the habit of using ++a instead, because when using overloaded ++ operators on objects (such as iterators) the preincrement is faster. Both are equally fast on pointers and other basic types.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement