Game Speed - Just Curious

Started by
30 comments, last by Drizzt DoUrden 22 years, 4 months ago
Most if not all of the new cards not only support hardware accelerated 3D, but 2D as well.
Advertisement
You have to be very careful with your programming when your dealing with graphics... AND games. Small changes can make huge differences. Now, your problem is that you really need to sit down and find those small changes. If you are using VC++ I recommend that you become familiar with the profiler. Also, concentrate on your innermost loops. For example, you have a game loop with a loop to draw characters with a loop to draw rows of pixels with a loop to draw single pixels. Concentrate on that loop drawing pixels, until it can''t possibly get faster (this is a great case for assembly) then concentrate on the loop drawing rows of pixels (may still need assembly) and so on.

Also you can add it up to see how many times you''re hitting those loops... I''ve had loops hit 300,000 cycles per frame... sometimes more. Another thing is to become a do-it-yourselfer. It''s easy to use someone elses generic code to do a simple task but when that generic code has to take into account display, system settings, alignment of the planets and the whereabouts of Hoffa''s corpse, your program gets bogged down.

Back in the day I''d write game code in a matter of a few hours and then spend the next two weeks optimizing (of course, this was in the DOS days and puters were slow, I won''t even get into the headaches of my Apple II days).

Anywayz, getting to my point... there''s a huge difference between the code ya get out of a book and the code you spend two weeks to a month slaving over... and Baldur''s Gate, I''m sure, is a pretty far cry from the code in any How-to book.

I seriously suggest (if you''re really interested in game programming) that you sit down and hack that code, dig into your system, find out what all that "black box" code is really doing, remove the code you don''t need, revise the fundamental way you''re doing things and learn assembly... assembly is very easy, especially for most purposes and worth the effort if you want that lightning fast code =)

- Jay

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

Get Tranced!
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
If your opengl app is running windowed, make sure your desktop isn''t set to 8bit/256 colour mode, opengl really doesn''t seem to like that, at least on my card...
How much memory does your video card have? If it is an old 1mb model it won''t be able to do anything higher than 640x480x8bpp without resorting to using system memory for the invisible page. Copying from system to video memory is slowwwww. Running on my P120 laptop (Compaq LT5280) w/1mb video an app that does nothing but clear the screen and display a frame counter (using a backbuffer) runs at 60fps (vsync of the LCD) at 640x480x8 and at 12fps or less at any higher resolution.
just because baldur''s gate used dx, does not mean it did not run in 8bit mode. though it could have very well used 16bit modes (my memory is a bit fuzzy on that). it definatly runs in 640x480.
Just to put in a useless comment, I clearly remember playing Baldur''s gate in 32 bit color mode.

rk
I recently had this problem with opengl - and i think i know what you're doing wrong.

Make calls to glBegin() and glEnd() only when you absolutely have to. I wrote a 2d game in opengl running at 15fps - it was calling glBegin() about several hundred times per frame. After some thinking i got it calling glBegin() about 10 times per frame, and my fps shot up to 100.

Try to use display lists wherever possible.

Also remember that if you call glBegin() within a display list "compilation" it is called every time the display list is used.

Edited by - Spiral on December 20, 2001 9:51:21 AM
--------------------Go Stick Your Head In A Pig
quote from interplay''s faq on baulder''s gate:
quote:
Q: What is the minimum system requirement to play Baldur''s Gate?
A: Currently the minimum requirement is a P120 with a 2meg video card and 16 Megs of RAM. This system spec plays VERY well and is not a minimum that says "I can boot the game up" but "I can actually play" system. You will notice definite improvements if you have a better system. With more RAM, you will see more varieties of animation on the screen at once; with more hard drive space, you will have to wait less for loading from the CD when you enter a new area. With a faster processor, the frame rate should improve and pathfinding should improve. If you have 4 meg of video card memory we plan to implement 24-bit graphics, which should improve the realism to the maximum level. We recommend a P166 with 32 meg of RAM for optimal performance.

you may be speaking of a newer version of baulder''s gate. i am speaking of the first one. the max color depth that baulder''s gate supported was 24bit and only if you had 4meg of video memory. increasing to 32bit depth would bring the vram requirments passed 4meg. since it would require 25% more memory and not look any better.
Well, I still don't get it. I mean, my point is that Baldurs Gate was programmed to work on computers that are even under 200 mhz(thats what I have), and it is huge, so one small mistake in OpenGL shouldn't really give me trouble to the point where I can't move the window.

Even the code I take *directly* from the "OpenGL Game Programming" book is pretty slow, so I guess that it is more to the fact that I have a slow computer. But still, if a large 2D game can run with very litte "lag", then I think an SDL application where two boxes collide should run pretty damned fast.

Maybe I should make less global variables and stuff. I'll figure it some day, I always figure it out when I need to .

How much of a difference does assembly make in a program anyway? And what kind of assembly would I want to learn if I was working with Windows, SDL, and OpenGL? (I have seen like 5 different types and that confused the heck outta me)

And one other question. Is it so much faster to load a bunch of 32x32 bitmaps opposed to a 640 by 480 bitmap? I would think so but I dont seeaa difference.

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on December 20, 2001 4:09:00 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
If other opengl applications are running slow it could also be your opengl drivers. Older cards are known for there horrible opengl drivers. This, and/or some improper technique could cause your system to crawl =)

"Programmers - The next generation of Mathematicians"
~Michael Sikora

Edited by - guardian_light on December 20, 2001 4:10:09 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement