DirectX vs OpenGL

Started by
1 comment, last by flucknugget 22 years, 3 months ago
Which do you think is better for 2d and 3d graphics? Any reasons why? flucknugget
- f l u c k y p o o
Advertisement
flucknugget, you're better off finding out for yourself. You won't get any real answers here, as many take one side or the other and some even straddle the fence. You'll most likely walk away even more confused and unsure. Most of the people will tell you it's half-personal decision (aesthetic), and half technical. Check out some of the DX and OGL articles here and stop by a bookstore to skim through both kinds of books. Dip a bit into both before you decide for yourself which one you prefer over the other. More than likely your reasons will differ from just about everyone else's which is why a lot of people don't even bother answering these types of questions. But this is a newbie forum after all, so I'll be nice Good luck.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

IGDC - the International Game Developers Chat! [irc.safemalloc.com #igdc]
NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I know both DX8 and OpenGL. In my "opinion" DX8 is better but that is also influenced by the fact that I am only developing for windows OS''s. Also in my "opinion", I think you should learn both OpenGL and DX8. Once you learn one the other comes pretty easy. If you want to get into the games industry u never know what API a company you want to work at is using and they both get the job done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement