Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaRappa

NO expirence. Xmas ?'s

I posted this topic on another page sorry I just saw this page. Anyway, I am serious about learning some programming languages. I read some stuff and i have decided to learn c/c++. Which one should I learn first C or C++? Do I need to know C to understand C++? What books should I get? I only have enough money to buy one book, maybe two. What books are good for NO experiance starters? Thanks to anyone who can help and your time.

SAMS confused me at first so i went to C++ how to preogram by dietel and dietel, its a college level book, but im a 9th grader and i understood all the way up to Object overloading wich im stuck on right now.........its also pretty expensive, i got it for 70$, it with microsoft visual C++ 6 introductory edition, i dont like it though so i use DEV-C++. i would sheck out some other books if you decide to pick this one

That SAMs book is kind of hard to start on, but buy it anyway, it covers nearly all of the C/C++ fundamentals and has useful refernces. Other useful Books:
Borland C++ 5.0 FOr Dummies (forgot the exact name)

For Game Programming: (all must haves)
Learn Computer Game Programming with DirectX 7.0 (do NOT buy DX8 version of this!)
THe Zen Of Direct3D Programming
Beginning Direct3D Programming

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

I read the C programing Language by K&C those are the people who invented C. Its a pretty complex book but easily doable. From there i moved onto Sam teach yourself c++ in 21 days. Very good book. I could have easily started from here since first couple chapters teach you c.

So in conclusion i suggest the second book if you want just one book.

later

Guest Anonymous Poster
I took a C course in university. We used the Deitel and Deitel How to program C book. From there I picked up The Complete Reference C++ Third Edition by Herb Schildt. Those were really the only two books I used. I eventually picked up K&R''s The C Programming Language, just because it''s the C book of all C books. A little dated, but amazing none the less.

Most importantly, read code and write code. There''s no such thing as a stupid program when it comes to learning. Make a bunch of small programs, then work on more meaty programs. Read other peoples code. Whatever you do, don''t get frustrated and quit.

I learned C first, then C++.

C has a simple elegance and clarity that I think should really be appreciated. I''d start with that.

C++ can''t actually do more than C, but you can write some things more clearly. As C is essentially a subset of C++, most of the things you need to know about programming you can learn more clearly with C.

SAM''s Teach Yourself, doesn''t really work out too well. I read through the first half of the book and had many questions whose answers would not be answered until I took a course in C++. Go with C++, it is more object oriented than C and was created as a result of a need for a better object oriented language. It is very easy to learn, I picked it up really fast as a 9th grader. I''ve found that after you learn the basics, you will begin to catch your own mistakes and even make your programs run faster than before.

As far as a C++ compiler, I recommend Borland''s C++ Compiler 5.0 or CodeWarrior. Borland''s is what I learned from but CodeWarrior allows for graphics and has a higher faster performance level.

No electrons were harmed in the creation of this message.

THINK -- it gives you something to do while the computer is down.

To err is human. To really screw things up you need a computer.