software engineering?

Started by
6 comments, last by agari 22 years, 4 months ago
Hello! I wanted to know can I become a game dev if I took a major in software engineering? Thanks and Eid Mubarak, Merry Christmas
A great writer has said, "It is not how good the writer is which affects the reader, but the thesis of the story."
Advertisement
You can major in Garbage disposal and become a game developer.

Seriously, Yes, Software Engineering is a part of Game development (since Game Development is a large part software), but it really doesn''t matter what you majored in as long as you can produce good, well written, and working game code (at a high level). But it will help with your resume if it says Software Engineering over Garbage Disposal

Nutts

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Kol sana wenta tayeb...
I think taking software engineering as your major will help you a lot if you''re interested in game development from a view point of a game designer or even programming... coz game development is considered a very complex task that will need software engineering approaches to solve...

For example i think of game programming in bottom-up manner... a software engineering concept...

Mohamed Salah
-=eXperto=-
Also just think. Andre Lamonth the author of windows game programming and many other books. Also majored in electrical engineering and math.

If you want to do 3d game programming and write your own enginge i would try to take as many math classes as possible. Things like vector calculas and linear algebra.
I read once about two game developers who quit their practice as doctors in order to start making games. How bout them apples? And by the way, your major in college really doesn't decide squat what you'll do in life, trust me. There are so many positions held by people who majored in something totally different, like a business CEO who was a psych major or something.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Oh ok thanks guys
Now I can rest for another year :D
A great writer has said, "It is not how good the writer is which affects the reader, but the thesis of the story."
You must be talking about Bioware? Creators of Baldur''s Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc..

To be slightly ontopic...A degree in software engineering isnt required to become a game developer, but the knowledge you''ll hopefully get while earning that degree will be very helpful.
Once you have your software engineering degree, you''ll likely find that there''s more money to be made writing business apps. More money, fewer hours. Then you can write games in your free time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement