Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy2Stamps

Pushing the Limits...?

Buy2Stamps    122
What I want to know is how big can you make a game? How much memory should you limit it to? How much HDD should it consume? What technology is supported by most costumers...? It would not be a very HOT game if only 1 guy at NASA can play it on his supercomputer... What is the AVERAGE computer the game player has...of course some people who have older computer''s can''t play it...but what is the Biggest a game can get...in resources...?
quote:
The sky is still the limit?

Xorcist    122
It''s my understanding MMORPGs can get pretty huge, resource-wise, on the server side that is. Depends on what you need to do I guess. My personal outlook is take up the least amount of space/resources possible. That way your game will appeal to a larger audience. You might want to consider aspects of loading data from your distribution media during runtime, thus not wasting too much of the user''s HDD space. Maybe something along the lines of data streaming, like Soul Reaver II and Grand Theft Auto III do (I''m sure this concept is not localized to the realm of consoles). But always give the option for a full and complete install to HDD (if the space is there, and they want to use it, let them), this goes for partial installs as well. I''ll let some people that have worked on large projects fill you in on the memory issues, since I''ve never really needed that much for the rinky dink little games I''ve created.

Tinmizer    122
Since we are on this topic I have a question that relates to it.
What would be faster, pulling static info from the harddrive or cd rom during game play.

RomanR    122
quote:
Original post by Tinmizer
Since we are on this topic I have a question that relates to it.
What would be faster, pulling static info from the harddrive or cd rom during game play.

From the hard drive will be faster, naturally. Even at present high speeds CDROM drives have a long way to catch up to harddrives.