Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

null_pointer

Moderators - please read

null_pointer    289
Would it be possible to take some of the most frequently asked questions on this forum (multidimensional arrays in C++, how to count bits, and so on) and put answers to them in the forum''s FAQ section? - null_pointer

null_pointer    289
Add a button to the moderator controls that posts a standard message, such as "The answer to this question can be found in this forum''s FAQ." I am sure that it would be a lot easier to do than simply telling people to search the forums. And if not, then it would save the effort of people posting answers.

Or perhaps a permanent sticky post that directs newbies to the FAQ?

Okay, I give up...why does the Forum FAQ link exist? This reminds me of the old Andy Griffith show, where the deputy carried a gun but no bullets...

- null_pointer

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Mmm, a few reasons.

1. Registration is site-wide. It applies to forums, book reviews, etc.

2. There are 23 forums, if I counted right. I would be really annoyed if I had to page through 23 sets of FAQ''s to register.

3. People generally don''t bother reading the TOS when they register, and technically that''s legally binding. Gamedev could put a requirement in there that you mail them a tuna sandwich monthly, and most people wouldn''t notice. There''s no way in heck they''re going to read a FAQ when they''re registering, usually with a question they''re wanting to ask.

-fel

Ibanez    122
People are asking these same questions, because the answers are either not on the net, or are very hard to find. I recall fairly recently a question asked about passing multi-dimensional arrays (of unknown size) to functions, which got many replies of people just arguing whether you could or not and technical jargon, but no answer.

Some FAQs or tutorials I would like to see explained:
* Why can I only draw X sprites/objects per frame
* Using DX8 to draw 2d stuff
* How to draw text on the screen (without using MFC or DX7)
* C/C++ core functions (things like classes, variable passing, etc.)

These are what I had the most trouble with, and are questions we are seeing again and again.

felisandria    739
By all means feel free to come up with a tutorial on the aforementioned, Ibanez.

Theoretically, users should check the tutorials/resources section to see if there is information there, if they want information immediately. Anyone can write and submit a tutorial.

I do not personally have time or interest, especially with work, the holidays, and an article I must have written by mid-January.

-fel

jollyjeffers    1570
I like the idea of having a general reply (from the moderators) along the lines of "This question has already been answered here...[link to faq]"

it really annoys me when some people hide under "anonymous poster" and insult anyone with a relatively simple question (insults along the lines of, go look for it/search this/search that...), I feel that it could be partially solved by the above idea...

- Just my two cents

Jack;