Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeerNutts

Serious Question: Virtual com interface with VComm

BeerNutts    4401
OK, let me start by saying what I want to accomplish. I have an application that communicates through Com ports using serial interface. I want to be able to create a virtual Com port interface so, when my application tries to communicate to a Com port, it will instead be talking to my interface. I want this interface to be able to route the data so writes and reads go through sockets over TCP/IP. I have read that it can be accomplished using VComm and the Windows DDK, but I have zero experience writing Windows drivers. Please let me know of any knowledge you might have about this subject (examples, links, etc.). Also, this needs to work on Windows 2000. I really need this, so all help is appreciated. Will

Shannon Barber    1681
It''s easier to buy a piece of hardware that provides this functionality - you plug it into a serial port and give it an ip address, due the same with the piece of equipment on the other end. This way, no changes are required of the software. I''ve used rs232 devices over hundreds of miles this way

I unfortunetly can''t think of the name of the company nor devices we used...

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO

BeerNutts    4401
Well, the point of intercepting the data in software is so we don''t have to go through the UART, which is very slow (max 115200 bps). The virtual interface will just shove the data out through TCP/IP, and it''ll be fast as hell (I need speed for this application).

I''ve done alot of searching, and I''m gonna get the Microsoft DDK and try to create it myself, but from what I''ve read, it doesn''t sound easy. I was just hoping someone had some experience with this, or atleast sample code for creating VXD''s (or WDM for Win2000, or whatever).

Will