computer game for senior project

Started by
4 comments, last by Phillk6751 22 years, 4 months ago
I started C++ programming this year and have background in VB and QB..Im the 2nd best programmer in my class and im a sophomore. I was wondering if i could get any idea''s on a game to make for my senior project because im expecting it to take more than just my senior year...maybee over 2 years i dunno...im thinking of an openGL project but what do you think?
Advertisement
If you start it now, then it won''t be a Senior Project. Wait until your about half way through your Junior Year, you never what new things you may learn.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com
-----------------------------kevin@mayday-anime.comhttp://www.mayday-anime.com
quote:Original post by Phillk6751
I started C++ programming this year and have background in VB and QB..Im the 2nd best programmer in my class

thank you for that lovely irrelevant information

Ok, here''s a USEFUL reply. Don''tcha hate how ya have to wait a few replies before ya get something useful? Although grashopa was sorta hinting at some useful advice.

I''m not sure about your school and you may be moving alot faster than mine, but by x-mas break when i was taking C++, we were just starting functions I think. My memory may be off (it''s been 3 years), but the C++ class is starting functions right now, and they''re probably moving faster than I did when I took it. Of course, hopefully you didn''t spend eterniity talking about Karel, so you should be a little further. But my point is you still have a long long way to go before mastering the C++ language, and you''re really gonna be close to mastering the C++ language before you start pumping out any games. Like so many have said, video games are the hardest type of application to make.

But I don''t want to limit you. That''s one of the most terrible things anyone on this board or in life in general can do, limit your hopes. OpenGL (atleast for me) is a windows-based programming interface, but using glut, you can make it into a dos-based interface (more or less), meaning you won''t need to learn all that complex stuff about making windows/handling messages/etc. Look for some information and tutorials on glut. You''ll find loads of stuff. If you understand any of the tutorials (and I mean the C++ syntax and stuff, not just what the glut commands do and how the math works) then you may be able to start doing some serious glut.

But if you don''t understand it, I would serious recommend finishing learning C++. Remember, there''s nothing stopping you from getting ahead in the class. By the time I took C++ freshman year, I had already basically known it because I taught it to myself over the summer. If you''re really interested in programming, it can be something that you enjoy learning more and more about. And trust me when I say you''re gonna wanna know ALOT before you start making games.

What grade are you in? And are you gonna be taking C++ classes until you graduate? At my school, we only have C++ Prograaming and AP Computer Science (based on C++). I took C++ freshman year and AP Comp Sci sophomore year. And after the AP test, we didn''t have anything to do, so our class learned glut together and our final grade in the class was to make something (anything) with glut. So, my point is, if you get two good years of C++, you should be able to tackle atleast glut. During my second year, I was sorta learning DirectX and true OpenGL on my own. It took lotsa time, and my school grades definitely suffered for it, but it''s possible if you''re a really good learner. So, by your 2nd year with C++, I''m sure you can start doing glut atleast.

In the meantime, why not plan on playing around with "graphics.h"? We used Turbo C++ in my freshman year, and it came with some cheesy dos graphics stuff, but it worked for me, and I made a duck hunt clone out of it (group project). Of course, you can''t do that now probably, but you should be able to very soon. Ask your teacher about it if you''re using a dos version of C++.

Good luck in your learning and don''t give up

Buy "Tricks of the Window Game Programming Gurus", if you read that and do all the examples you''ll be able to make a 2D games in Windows. It assumes you know C, know algebra, and can write simple programs.

Or find some tut''s on the site and the rest of the web and get a window on the screen that you can draw in. Once there you can figure out what exactly you want it to do.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Well, I was kinda short on time before. Omega, you hit it on the head. When I was a sophomore college, I started thinking about what I could do for my senior project. I wanted to make a game, but with the knowledge that I had at the time, the game would not have been as good as it could have been. By the time I was a senior, my programming skills had increased dramatically and my overall knowledge of software design had grown. As a result, my senior project turned out much better than I expected.

The moral: if I had started on it when I was a sophomore, the final project would have been my best work. I waited and the new knowledge made a huge difference

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com
-----------------------------kevin@mayday-anime.comhttp://www.mayday-anime.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement