Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iNvALiD aRGuMenT

Space...the final frontier

mdfmKoRn    122
Actually, I''m not sure what you mean, so I''m going to answer what I ''think'' your question is getting at.

No, space is not the simple 3D that you and I know. In fact, they even use a completely different form of geometry to do calculations in space.

Something about it is different...

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
s3202@attbi.com

kmsixpence    134
Space, if you mean the solar system and stuff, is 3d or 2d. It just depends on what you program it to be. If you want a overhead 2d space game, make it. If you want a 3d attack space game, i know one really good but i forget it, just make that too. It all depends on what you want it to be. In space, is there not length, width, and depth?

SIGMA    122
Are you talking about outerspace? As in the space outside of our planet''s atmosphere? If you are then, yes, for all intensive purposes, space is 3d. It is composed of width, height and depth. Normal space is also 3d, I believe that (feel free to correct if I''m wrong, but) space is just an area devoid of matter. I say that for all intensive purposes space is 3d, because it really is not; however, that is beyond the scope of computer games. Anyway, space represented in a computer is also 3d in theory; however, world to camera transformations occur on the theoretical points of an object to transform it into a 2d picture which can be displayed on a computer monitor. Hmm, I tried to cover a lot of bases here because your question is just a tad bit vague, hope this helps,
-Jesse

NightwingX    122

Battlecruiser 3000AD

is a REALLY good example of space maps. If this is what you are thinking about kmsixpence? I believe the site is:

www.bc3000ad.com

Well, have fun.

-Your Welcome

quote:
Wise man on hill says:
You must experiance to be able to comprehend

aDasTRa    122
space in reality is 3d...is that what you are asking? what else could it be? i guess you could say that space itself is empty, not really anything, let alone anything with dimension. there are only objects in a void. the relationships between these objects have empirical dimensions though.

that may seem a bit confusing, i''ll try to explain. the ''space'' between the earth and moon itself is really nothing, it is immeasurable. nonetheless the distance between the moon and earth is quantifible.

if you want to represent outer space in a game, you''d probably be wasting your time trying to represent the intermediate stuff; just keep track of locations of objects relative to one another or an arbitrary origin.

<(o)>

ZealousElixir    256
quote:
by Someone...
If you are then, yes, for all intensive purposes, space is 3d.

C'mon buddy. It's "for all intents and purposes." Get your clichés right.

Later,
ZE.

P.S.
If you don't believe me, check this out:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html
Some statistics:
The yahoo.com search engine returns over 23000 references to the phrase "all intents and purposes". It returns about 1100 references to "all intensive purposes." Many of these 1100 hits are grammar sites correcting the very mistake you made. I'm not being harsh or judgemental, but, for your own sake, think about what you say.

EDITED to add the p.s.

Edited by - ZealousElixir on December 20, 2001 8:23:49 PM

D    128
On a slightly different note I''ve read somewhere that space is a 3d hyperthingy that is an anomaly in 5d or 6d field of wierd assed *very* elementary particles.

Don''t ask me any more about it becuase I forgot all the physics that I was taught already. (cept the basics )

Dæmin
(Dominik Grabiec)
dominik.grabiec@student.adelaide.edu.au

SIGMA    122
Actually, space is sometimes thought to be an infinitude of 2d planes stacked upon one another. It''s how we explain gravity. What happens is objects exist in this stacked space, and when mass is encountered, the planes distort and wrap around it causing distortions in the movement of an object traveling along its path. This theory was first developed by Einstein, but is now a pretty well known theory. Sorry about the ''all intents and purposes'', I''ve never seen it actually written out before, at least intensive is a word
Cheers,
-Jesse