Team? What team?

Started by
13 comments, last by NightwingX 22 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering, do you REALLY need a team to make a game? What if you can do it all by yourself, with maybe DL some code snippets from the internet. But, do you actually need a team to write a game, is it THAT hard? (I know you are wanting to know the complexity of the game, so here it comes) I want to write a game that kind of is the theme of Alines (I,II,III,IV). The complexity is quite high - with the graphics. I would NOT mind a team, but so far I was not able to put one together, and I am not sure if it is even a good idea. Has there ever been a game (more complex ones) that were written by one person? -Thanks
Advertisement
The short answer is...it depends.

It depends on what you mean by complexity.
It depends on how talented you are.
It depends on how multi-faceted you are.
It depends on how much time you are willing to put into it.
Are you a good artist, as well as a good programmer, as well as a good designer, as well as a good manager of your time?

If you have talent, drive and follow through, then the answer would be... maybe, if you are lucky.

Have you ever made a simple game? If the answer to that is no, then the answer to your question is no.

If you have access to a good prototyping tool, or 3D engine (and you can program), can get premade models, and can d/l all the assets you need, you''d still need many months to put it all together and get the gameplay to be fun.

Game making is not easy, it''s very hard work, and I''d suggest you start with a simple game before seeing if you can singlehandly make a complex one.

I have made a few Simple Games yes. I am not a awsome graphic artist, but I can make graphics "good-enough" Tools I have, time (PLENTY) I have, talent I have (I hope). So, if I am lucky, you think I can pull it off? If you can, define "Lucky".

-Thanks
Nightwing, fill me in here, what kind of game are you trying to make?

And let me tell you from experience, what the first reply says is true. Even the simplest games take the longest time to make entertaining. However, sometimes the simlpest game, Pac Man for example, are the ones that live forever. In this regard, yes, single-handed programming is feasible.

I have the same problem you have, I have no artist. It''s even worse now with no texture artist. Man, a good computer graphics designer is so hard to find.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
s3202@attbi.com

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
s3202@attbi.com
Hehe, I''m walking the same path as you, so I say it can be done. I''m going to use a 3D engine, rather than wasting time making my own, and I''m taking my time with the design process. That means I''m PLANNING everything before I make a single model or write one line of code. Sure it can be done!
*********-.o-**********
Well.. I know the guy who wrote Snood did it single handedly. I think he made something like $40K or more on that, shareware. Pretty good for something a guy made as a present for his wife. So someone can make a game single handedly... But if you want to make the next Ultima Online or Quake 4... You can probably for get about it.
Visit my web site."I came, I saw, I coded."
yay, optimism rules.

If you´re serious, get a counterpart (if you´re a coder get an artist and vice versa). It will greatly speed up things and do wonders for the design as it´s really hard to see one´s own errors.

to answer your question: probably yes, but since I heard the word "complexity" I´ll have to add: not within a reasonable amount of time. I know a guy who did a RTS all by himself, pretty good game too, the problem is it took him over five years...
I am trying to make a game that is like Doom, but different theme (First person view). You have to battle aliens that have infested you ship.
I know ALOT of graphics artists, but non of them know how to program. Could I use them to make my games (they are willing to help) graphics? How could I take the graphics they did, and put thim into the game? Do I need to learn OpenGL?
Is OpenGL hard to learn? I know a teeny-weeny bit of DirectX, but not enough to make an entire game. (Maybe I should of asked this in the OpenGL room..hmmmm...ok, I will).
Maybe I can lend you a few of my graphic artists...just remember to feed them everyday, and take then out for a walk.
My single thought is this: If I were rifling through a list of promising game developers to hire, who would I choose? On one hand I have the guy that single-handedly programmed a complex 3D game. On the other hand I have the guy that has a known record of good teamwork and collaboration with others. Seeing as that all of game development these days is based on teams and working well with others, I''d definetly pick the guy showing these capabilities. Also, by working in a team you get to focus your abilities on one thing only (usually). So not only is the developer I''m hiring a better proven team player, but he has worked in the same area everytime and has a skill set specific to what I need him for.

Try and make a team, you can get the same amount of satisfaction from completing a game with a team, it can be just as difficult as doing it yourself.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

quote:Original post by NightwingX
I am trying to make a game that is like Doom, but different theme (First person view). You have to battle aliens that have infested you ship.
I know ALOT of graphics artists, but non of them know how to program. Could I use them to make my games (they are willing to help) graphics? How could I take the graphics they did, and put thim into the game? Do I need to learn OpenGL?
Is OpenGL hard to learn? I know a teeny-weeny bit of DirectX, but not enough to make an entire game. (Maybe I should of asked this in the OpenGL room..hmmmm...ok, I will).
Maybe I can lend you a few of my graphic artists...just remember to feed them everyday, and take then out for a walk.

If you''re asking stuff like this, you should forget about a game for a while and hit the books.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement