Why are there no DIrectGraphics Tutorials?

Started by
11 comments, last by pointguard1 22 years, 4 months ago
Just curious but why aren''t there any tutorials on DirectGraphics yet? Have I just been looking in the wrong places or what? I''ve been using DDraw with DX7 and I''m hoping to make the transition soon. I googled "DirectGraphics tutorials" but it only gave my VB DX stuff. And I can''t find any on gamedev or nexe either. I''d sure appreciate it if someone wrote one or even pointed me to one. Thnx! Happy Holidays. Remember the real reason too. Newbie to game programming? visit KaBooMgames Great for Newbs, Masters welcome as well
------------------------------------KaBeeM Web
<><
Advertisement
None at Gamedev?

I coulda sworn I saw some here

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
He''s right, there''s more d3d and ddraw and stuff than dxgraphics. Nexe''s site has some nice tuts though and i would recommend checking it out.
DXGraphics is the new name for Direct3D now that DirectDraw is not an official component. (The DX8 D3D API is really DXGraphics, but it maintains the D3D prefix on all the functions)

This is a point I keep pushing - People feel that DirectGraphics/Direct3D in inappropriate for 2D graphics. This isn''t really true. The reason for the name change is that there is no longer a distinction. DirectGraphics is an API that tries to get the most out of the hardware. It just happens that all of the current hardware is driven by a 3D architecture.

This has always been true with OpenGL (Open Graphics Language). Most people use OpenGL for 3D, but there is no fundamental reason not to use OpenGL for 2D. OpenGL has a 2D "blitting" API, but almost no hardware has provided accelerated support, but it was fairly easy to do 2D with the part of the API that was set up for 3D. The same is now true for DXGraphics.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
www.drunkenhyena.com has som excellent tutorials for beginners, i have learned quite a few stuff there....
G''day!

This is being real nitpicky (like that''s a word), but I hate the fact that Microsoft pushes the idea that DirectGraphics is the merging of DirectDraw and Direct3D. It confuses a LOT of people, because they (quite logically) expect to see DirectDraw-like methods exposed in the DirectGraphics interface (which is really the Direct3D interface).

They didn''t merge them, they just made D3D good enough on it''s own, which is not the same. If it was a merge, where are the DirectDraw-like methods? Why don''t we get a DirectGraphics interface instead of a D3D8 interface? Sadly, it''s because of marketing.

Less people would get confused when first coming to DX8 if Microsoft gave an explanation closer to CrazedGenius''s.
DirectDraw is gone, DirectGraphics is a marketing term for a (much) better D3D.

K, I''m done ranting now.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
I''ve just recently started working with DX 8.0, and I was one of those confused by the so-called combining of DirectDraw and D3D. I expected to see the old DirectDraw stuff in the documentation, but it isn''t there any more.

So, I tried using my old DX7 DirectDraw code (for creating a DirectDraw object, setting cooperation level, etc) in DX8. I had some problems getting it to work at first, but, after poking around in ddutil.cpp a little bit to see what was going on, I was able to get it working.
Flip Code has some tutorials on doing 2D graphics with DirectX8.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Let''s ask other way round : What the heck do you need basic DX8 tutorials for ? Everything you need to know can be found in the DX8 SDK documentation (which has been improved in DX 8.1 very much).
Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
Yea your best bet is to go to
NeXe
http://nexe.gamedev.net

as well as Drunken Hyena
www.drunkenhyena.com

also be sure to check hte link bar on the left it has some Directx sites, like Mr. Snow''s website which has a super lone address i dont have memorized. ALso be looking at nexe within the next couple of days I''ll throw up some new tut''s once I Get around to converting them to NeXe format.

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

NeXe

My Homepage
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement