Hiding intellisense stuff

Started by
6 comments, last by Prozak 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I have a class witha buttload of stuff in it, and using intellisense to navigate thru it is confusing, due the large amount of variables and functions. I put everything the user cannot gain access to under "protected", which appears in intellisense as a key. Is there an option in msvc++ to hide (in the intellisense view) all that stuff that we cannot actually gain acess to? In other words, hide all the keyed procedures and variables. This would make it easier for other persons that will in the future read my code, to navigate thru the class'' structure, by allowing them only to see alterable variables and callable functions. Thanx for any insights, Season''s Greetings,

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][]

Advertisement
quote:Original post by pentium3id
Is there an option in msvc++ to hide (in the intellisense view)
all that stuff that we cannot actually gain acess to?

Now wouldn''t that be nice... I suppose it may be possible, but I haven''t run across any options that control the behavior of ClassView - hell I''m happy if it parses my code half-right (which seems to be asking alot )

... If you break the declaration into two header files - one for the interface and public properties, and one for the protected/private elements, you can add only the public header file to the project, and then only those will show up in the intelli-sense. Not exactly elegant, but functional.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I'm not sure that you can do what you ask... but there may be a solution: Visual Assist - is a VS plugin that enhances the intellisense of Visual Studio. You can find it from the Whole Tomato web site.

*NOTE* I'm just a happy user, I have zero involvement with Whole Tomato

Dak Lozar
Elysian Productions, Inc.

Hmmm... I read you post after I made a response and I'm not sure Visual Assist is what your looking for. I thought since you said intellisense that you meant the drop down info that you get while coding... After reading your post and Magmai's response - I realized that you didn't mean intellisense but the Workspace browser's Classview tab. I'm not sure there is a way to do what your asking... sorry. I should really brush up on my speed reading

Edited by - Dak Lozar on December 19, 2001 11:11:11 AM
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
I just tried it out, and it does indeed have exactly what the original poster wants. When the list of members comes up, it comes up with a "contents" button at the bottom. Click that, and then uncheck protected and private members and I''m assuming they''ll no longer show up.
--Riley
Sweet, it fixed up the coloring coding of the code too!
Hum, wish I could give different colors to typedefs from classes
Prints in color, verra naice...
Auto-completion, _awesome
Man, you could forget how to write code using the auto-completion macro technology

How much is it? Ack! $79 If we get together 50 people it''s only 47.4 each...

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Magmai,
You are correct - I cannot code without it now that I have been using it for about 8 months. It''s sooooo nice! If your doing alot of coding - the time that you save is well worth the price... I know 80 smackers is alot of cash

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
It''d be nice if it would autocomplete variables, not just members. It already puts a word-style tool tip above recognized names whenever you start typing a variable or function name - I keep seeing that and reflexively hitting space, expecting it to fill in the rest of the word.

The rest is insanely helpful though.. *slows down time so the evaluation lasts longer* ..I just can''t afford $80.
--Riley
rileyriley,
When you see the variable name in the tooltip - press the ENTER key not the space bar.

The spacebar works when the dropdown combobox is present.
The enter key works when you see the varable name in the tooltip.

Hope that helps, as for the $80.00 - I can't help you there,

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

[EDITED: My last post was incoherent ]

Edited by - Dak Lozar on December 23, 2001 1:43:47 PM
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement