A problem I get pissed at...

Started by
7 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 3 months ago
Under Mandrake, I can''t figure this out, but sometimes when I shutdown or reboot, it freezes in the process. I have no idea why, but on the GUI shutdown screen, it usually freezes when it says "Shutting down Internet connection if needed." I don''t have my modem set up because I''m not using Linux for Internet access. Can someone tell me why it does this, and how I can stop it?
Advertisement
"We should all use Linux because M$ Winbl0ws is buggy as hell. I could have pulled a better piece of software out of a bodily orifice!" <-- Something I hear all the time, paraphrased.

lol

Nothing is flawless.

Anyway, how do you fix your problem? To be honest, I''m not sure. Do you have any LAN TCP/IP connections running at the same time?
''GUI shutdown screen'' ... you are using Aurora, I presume? Try disabling it temporarily, and just using the standard text-based startup and shutdown screens. I know from experience that the things reported by Aurora aren''t always 100% accurate (one of the reasons I no longer use Mandrake ). It''s possible that something else is going on there.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Linux doesn''t freeze, software does. But, I really can''t blame them, most of the software is made by people in their free time. More than I can say for M$.

But this is probably something that was configured wrong. Mandrake just doesn''t freeze for everyone.
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
Definitely get rid of Aurora.

Try going to /etc/rc.d/init.d and as root type

network stop

see if it hangs there. If so, follow the link to the script that it's calling, and that'll give you a good start towards figuring out your problem.

Which version are you using? 8.1 is a little scary (sometimes they're a little too bleeding edge for their own good).

edit: Don't forget to go back to /etc/rc.d/init.d and do a "network start" if you're actually using some form of networking.

Give us liberty, or give us death!

Edited by - pwd on December 18, 2001 11:09:51 PM
Right... got it... (oh my God I gotta learn more of this!)

Anyway, I have already set up Mandrake so it boots, reboots and shuts down in text-based mode. It doesn''t even start X automatically. I did that so I could force myself to learn how to navigate through the console-- and it''s working, cuz I''m learning-- but it has affected the freezing deal I think as well. It has not had a huge impact, though. It still freezes much of the time when I reboot.

You''re right though, I don''t think closing the (non-existent) Internet connection is what''s freezing the process. I don''t have any networking connection set up. I don''t use Linux to access the Internet because I can already get to it through Windows.

Just today, under text-mode during the reboot process, it said something vaguely like:

printer.c::blah placeholder blah

I''m sorry but I can''t remember the whole thing. I think it said it was removing a printer driver or something, but I''m not at all sure. It should be noted that it did this AFTER it said it closed the internet connection. So the internet deal is most likely not the problem at all. Something to do with my printer, I guess.

My printer, a Lexmark Z33, is not working under Mandrake. It runs fine under Windows, but not Linux. I was told that Lexmark has poor support for Linux, except for their Optra series. It confuses me, though, that THIS is what is freezing my computer. That doesn''t make sense to me.

Some more help would be appreciated. Thanx.
go to /var/log/dmesg. I''m in Windows right now or I would find the other big log file that records everything. But dmesg records all boot up and kernel messages. It may be /var/log/system that is the master log file in Mandrake, I don''t remember. Anyway, in the console in X, just look through the log files, write down any suspicious errors, and post them here.

subnet_rx
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
Lexmark printers are not on the popular list. Perhaps get some info on it and write a driver =) (joy!).
You can still use it as a basic ASCII printer by redirecting it to /dev/lp0 (or the lpt1 port)
something like echo "hello world">/dev/lp0 should work.

good luck

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

quote:Original post by Some Guy
Under Mandrake, I can''t figure this out, but sometimes when I shutdown or reboot, it freezes in the process. I have no idea why, but on the GUI shutdown screen, it usually freezes when it says "Shutting down Internet connection if needed." I don''t have my modem set up because I''m not using Linux for Internet access.

Can someone tell me why it does this, and how I can stop it?

Disable the INETD service using DrakConf on LinuxConf...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement