Whats the standard amount of RAM?

Started by
28 comments, last by Dan Smith 24 years, 2 months ago
I seem to see posts of this type all the time... I''ve been having a argument with some people about the standard amount of RAM people have... So I decided I''d see what you guys have: 1. How much RAM do you have? 2. When did you purchase your system? (Year, Quarter) 3. Are you a Home User, Professional Developer, Artist. 4. What operating system are you running? (Linux, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 95) -Dan Smith dans@3dgamedev.com
D. Smith
Advertisement
128Mb, Q4-98, Home, win95
I''m running Win 98 with 32 megs of ram. You can expect most computers to have atleast 16 megs, but many have at least 32. Also, I program for Win 95 since that includes 98.

Domini
Hey people,

The new computers instantly have 64,
The olds ones have 32,

C''mon.. that makes 64 standard... and 32.. below.. HAHAHA

i bought this hunk of crap 3 yeras ago.. it''s a bloody P166, 32 Megs Of Ram, 2 GIG HARDDRIVE..

GOD! That''s fricken slow,
and people are telling me that 32 is standard?
well it''s not!

Ryan Ward,
(K|NgGh0sT)
128Mb,
Quarter 4 1998,
Home,
Windows 2000
D. Smith
256MB
Q2 ''99
Home Professional Artist and developer ;-)
Windows 2000 Pro & Advanced Server (RC3), also Windows 98SE Beta 2
128PC133, never purchased (ongoing process since like 1900), I''m professional Home User. Win98SE..
Um, I'm trying to make a living here!
I have 32 megs, bought 4 months ago.
Windows 95/Linux

Funny, how linux runs faster and better with less...

the only reason anyone would need more than 32 is if you're running a professional server, a 3d workstation, or you get an ultra-bloated operating system (COUGH*win2k*COUGH). Just because Microsoft says 64 megs is standard, and because it's top of the line operating system requires that much, doesnt make it the standard.

Maybe you people with all the 128 MB and higher don't know anyone else, but I know a lot of people, and no-one that i know personally has more than 64. 64 is high end for normal people.

here's a survey:

Mean RAM: 40.6 MB

06 * 64
06 * 48
10 * 32
01 * 24
02 * 16
01 * 08

now as you can see, the most people have 32 megs. Now, maybe people who's parents buy everything for them don't realise this, so I'll enunciate: RAM IS EXPENSIVE.

get that? I'll say it again for the hearing/logic impaired.
RAM IS EXPENSIVE.

only people who have everything catered to them can think that 32 megs is only for poor people who buy budget only 'clunkers'

remember, the only reason they clunk is because you people insist on using Operating systems that are so full of bloat and crap that does nothing except force you to spend more money on something you don't really need.

Im am REALLY sick of littlie kiddies comming in the chatroom and bragging that they have 128 megs of ram, 4 different computers, the most expensive video cards, and other expensive things that your mommies and daddies bought for you. its ANNOYING.

Go out in the real world, and earn a living for christ sake.
Then you'll learn the real value of money.

Edited by - Mithrandir on 1/28/00 3:53:54 PM
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
By the way, those numbers i posted above, I polled all of my personal friends here at college and back at home.

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
all i can say; dont rely on these results you get here! of course people on here have 128+ ram (well, i have 64), PII 300+ and nvidias latest 3D accels...but dammit these guys are developers, professional or not. the common home user usually dont have as well equiqed computers as developers do. i''d say 32 mb ram is "standard" for most "older" computers and 64 for the new ones bought today.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement