• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J_T_Biggs

C# and its functionality.

This topic is 6193 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Do any of you know of any companies or games that actually use C#? How functional and logical is it to use when makeing software? Is it just a waste of time? ------------------------- J_T_Biggs - 2001

Advertisement
I doubt we will see any substantial commitment to C# as a game programming language until DX9 with support for Managed DirectX is released sometime next year. You can get at the DX8 interfaces for VB through COM Interop if you absolutely want too though.
However, there is a port of OpenGL and SDL at http://csgl.sourceforge.net, and I have seen one 3D engine written in C# using that port - dont have an URL, I''m afraid.
The language itself makes a lot of sense to me though. It is very similar to Java, but is somewhat more flexible and more suited to writing more types of apps(GUI is one area where Java has a serious problem). It also allows you to access memory directly if you absolutely need to, through sections marked "unsafe".
The .NET library is also very rich - with support for IO, ASP.NET, sockets, GUI and what have you.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey

*** CENSORED ***
(Arild: I INSULTED C# HERE WITH NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL OF THE LANGUAGE!!!)
...and I apologize.
*** CENSORED ***

Edited by - AdmiralBinary on December 27, 2001 7:37:30 PM

Edited by - AdmiralBinary on December 30, 2001 10:52:12 PM

Edited by - AdmiralBinary on December 30, 2001 10:59:25 PM

Mindless bigots like that are the reason why I don''t read Slashdot.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey

C# is Microsoft''s lame attempt to replicate Sun Microsystem''s massively successful Java programming language, hence the added support for HTML and stuff.

They basically made it in case they lose their court case with Sun Microsystems over the use of Java (or something like that), so they still have something that can write programs for browsers. In fact, I don''t even know if that lawsuit still around. Still, there are so many targeted at Microsoft these days (note to self: file lawsuit against Microsoft)...

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle

whether you hate Microsoft or not, learning a language when it has JUST been developed is bad. Java has went through many changes since it''s release. Whether C# will or not is yet to be seen. Imagine putting a lot of development time into this and it just being tossed to the roadside by companies and developers. I would wait at least a year, maybe 2, before even considering learning this. Let it work out the bugs, then consider it for your next project. The improvements over what is already out there, like C++ and Java are yet to be seen. Personally, I started with Java, and have now moved on to C++. And I love C++. It''s a very powerful language that improves on the potholes of C.

quote:
Original post by iNsAn1tY
C# is Microsoft''s lame attempt to replicate Sun Microsystem''s massively successful Java programming language,

I assume you know the language spec fairly well, to be in a position to say this? Granted, the languages have similarities, but so do C++ and Java. And Java and Smalltalk. And C and C++. And Smalltalk and Simula. And C++ and Smalltalk. And Java and java-script and so on. Face it, no new language today will emerge from the void without any influences from existing languages.

This is a fairly balanced comparison of the features of Java and C#: C# From A Java Developer''s Perspective

quote:

hence the added support for HTML and stuff.

What support for HTML? If you are talking about ASP.NET, that is just another .NET class library, and as such is available to all .NET languages. C# as such has no intrinsic support for HTML.

quote:

They basically made it in case they lose their court case with Sun Microsystems over the use of Java (or something like that),

You must have very good contacts inside Redmond, since you know so much about Microsoft''s internal policies.
quote:

so they still have something that can write programs for browsers.

Again the confusion between C# as a language and .NET as a framework. While Internet Explorer is able to render Winforms apps, this has hardly been a focus for the MS marketing engine, and the procedure to make it work is not very well documented.
Besides, most interactive client-side content on websites today is done in Flash, not Java - its not a very interesting market.
No, MS is going after Sun in another market - the backend server market. Its not Java applets vs C# applets, its J2EE vs the .NET framework. Both Sun and MS realize that server-side computing will become more and more pervasive in the years to come.
It might seem that .NET has a performance advantage at the moment: .NET vs Java. Note that this is an MS site, and there is some dispute regarding the benchmarks - details can be found elsewhere on the site.
Undoubtedly, this will be countered by future versions of J2EE, and .NET will in turn become even faster. But this is the form of healthy competition everyone benefits from.
quote:

In fact, I don''t even know

Exactly - you apparently dont know much. If anything at all.

quote:
Post by subnet-rx
whether you hate Microsoft or not, learning a language when it has JUST been developed is bad. Java has went through many changes since it''s release. Whether C# will or not is yet to be seen.

Because of the recent acceptance of the C# and CLI spec by ECMA, MS is not in the same position as Sun to perform major unilateral changes in the way the language or the framework works(Sun can pretty much do what they want with the Java spec). From this we can safely deduce that the language will stay relatively stable for a while.

"Be kind to the ignorant, for they shall inherit the world"

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by AdmiralBinary

Advantages of C#:
Integration of HTML or sumthing - can''t remember exactly
Better for web design
Easier (for cowards and VB suckerz)

Is easy bad?

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is easy bad?

Ah, pay no attention to him. After all, I''m sure he never uses libraries like Win32, STL, DirectX, OpenGL, etc, cause it makes it too easy . He also programs in pure assembly because it''s "More power, More control, Faster".

That being said, I plan to switch over to C# for both web and application programming. However, I''m still sticking to C++ for game programming.

- Houdini

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!