• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amemorex

HALO - how do they do it??

This topic is 6023 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I was just done playing Halo (which is such an awesome game..) Anyway, I was wondering what they store their level geometry as, or what do YOU think it is? It''s so incredibly detailed and realistic, the water is amazing, the textures are super crisp, and there are thousands of individual blades of grass scattered about to make it more lifelike. If you were going to create an outdoor engine like this, what would you do?

Advertisement
I played Halo on a friends xbox and a big tv (not HDTV, its big but resolution sux) and I wasn''t too impressed. Guess I gotta see it on HDTV or something?
Dunno how they do it... Bungie + Microsoft have their ways. Maybe LOD... maybe its the power of the XBOX (haha). I''m sure we can think up of something. I vote for level of detail that predicts what your looking at :D

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
www.bhpro.com
simon@bhpro.com
||--------------------------||

is there popping in the distance? can you see detail change? those are usually good indications of an lod algorithm, probably roam.

if there is no popping, it could just be a ''brute force'' method, maybe with a quad-/oct-tree to determine visibility. I''ve read the unreal 2 does something like this; brute force rendering, no lod. it''d be nice to have a rendering pipeline so quick that adding a lod algorithm would actually slow it down.

<(o)>

My guess is either LoD or fractal based terrain - where the detail is generated from a lower resolution mesh, kind of like that ATi Smoothshader or whatever it is.

Moe''s site

quote:
Original post by aDasTRa
if there is no popping, it could just be a ''brute force'' method, maybe with a quad-/oct-tree to determine visibility. I''ve read the unreal 2 does something like this; brute force rendering, no lod. it''d be nice to have a rendering pipeline so quick that adding a lod algorithm would actually slow it down.

Actually, I''d be nice to have a cLoD algorithm so fast it didn''t slow the rendering pipeline down...

I was watching a video game show,
I believe it was on Discovery:Science,
it's called Electric Playground.

Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly, most if not all of
the stuff you're talking about were procedural textures
(or fractals like Moe said)

You might try elecplay.com or extendedplay.com to see if
I'm right.

Create.
Liv Tyler makes a really great elf.

Edited by - RolandofGilead on December 26, 2001 12:45:05 AM

quote:
Original post by max621
Dunno how they do it... Bungie + Microsoft have their ways.

well, for starters.. microsoft didn''t do shit but
hand them a sack of money so they''d put the ms logo on it...

heh, sorry.. i just hate it when the actual development
team doesn''t get full credit for their hard work.
every time i see a post about AOE2, its always ''microsoft''s AOE2''
just a pet peev :>

quote:
Original post by eldee
heh, sorry.. i just hate it when the actual development
team doesn''t get full credit for their hard work.
every time i see a post about AOE2, its always ''microsoft''s AOE2''
just a pet peev :>

Damn right. Developers get no rights. Publishers have a strangle hold on the industry. Oh, for the good old days...

RM.

Tron Software

-=Kicking Butt and Writing Code=-

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!