• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamazon

Mouse Pointer

This topic is 6016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I''m making a simple game with Open Gl And Windows. My game needs to be able to change the mouse pointer depending on where abouts it is but I cant find out how to do it. Please Help...: Heres what i''ve got: //boring code above/.. GetCursorPos(&mpos); if (mpos.y < 5) //if mouse at top screen I want to change to arrow upwards (data/icons/test.cur) { Y -= 0.25f; //move screen UP //here change mouse cursor to data/cursors/up_arrow.ico - or bmp. //I think i have to do this?? wc.hCursor = LoadCursor (NULL, ???); } I dont want to use one of the already defined cursors, one from a file. How do i chnage it to the file one?? Please help !! Thanks -------

Advertisement
Look in MSDN under SetCursor or LoadCursor. I think those functions should do it. SetCursor will change the cursor without having to recreate a window.

the previous guy was right, but there''s a way to get much nicer cursors.
1.hide the standard cursor (call ShowCursor(false); or so, don''t remember now)
2.while drawing your frame at the end draw a bitmap of cursor at cursor''s position. use a simple textured quad for it and turn off zbuffer check so your cursor always gets written, just like you would be writing a 2d bitmap for your GUI. Now instead windows cursor you have got a texture image representing your cursor. It can include such effects like alpha-blending etc. Pretty cool, eh?

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/

One thing you might want to do is to define a few integral constants to represent the cursors you''ll display. Then, make some function for switching the cursor that switches only if the requested cursor isn''t already being displayed; otherwise, you might get annoying flickering. Here''s a little snippet to demonstrate:

enum cursor {arrow, hand, hourglass};

void UseCursor(cursor new_cursor)
{
static int last_cursor = -1;

if(last_cursor == new_cursor)
return;

switch(new_cursor)
{
case arrow:
SetCursor(LoadCursor(...
break;

case ...
break;
}

last_cursor = new_cursor;
}

Hi again

Thanks for your help but it still wont work. The loadcurser funtion and SetCurser doesnt want to load my own curser (from a different file) (LoadCurser(NULL, "tst.cur")) but works when using one like IDC_ARROW - LoadCurser(NULL, IDC_ARROW) which is already defined. Is it possible to define your cursers like above? How? Also, how would u turn off z buffering to draw the bmp curser.

Thanks

-------

Jamazon when you load from resources you must use ''MAKEINTRESOURCE'', try this:
LoadCursor (NULL, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDC_ARROW))

From the MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/cursors_2sab.asp

And to disable z-buffer
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)

To enable it, us glEnable with GL_DEPTH_TEST

Hope this helps

If I''m observing correctly, you''re trying to load a cursor from an external file, right? If so, you have to use LoadCursorFromFile or LoadImage.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!