DD in DX9?

Started by
9 comments, last by MatuX 22 years, 3 months ago
IMHO DD is a very dead API...with DX8 shifting towards an OpenGL-like interface, why not let the hardware do everything ala OpenGL??

Even low-end 3d hardware is able to do the "basics", letting us worry about the actual game content rather than worrying about optimizing 2d color-blending to the n-th degree or some tired crap like that..I''ve got much better things to do with my precious time.

If you''re desperate for that kind of torture, than play with DX7..

As for opening up the source code...hahahhah..I laugh at the very idea. I think too many people shout "Open Source!" without really knowing and understanding the issues involved..(not knocking anyone specifically here btw..when I say "people", I''m meaning "general public")

If I was MS, I wouldn''t do it..why bother?? Why would I pay x programmers y number of dollars to develop the libraries, only to crack them open to the public?? Where''s the advantage for MS??

You can argue (for or against) open source until Michael Jackson turns black again, but there''s still too much of a division between the "underground" developers and business types who are in actual control of the code..

(Carmack can do it, because he wears both hats..but it''s pretty rare..)

just my 2 cents..

Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement