• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Davaris

Are there any free Open GL animation libraries?

This topic is 6197 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m was going to write a library that animates a 3D creature model or any other type of 3D model using OpenGL. But I want to see if there are any libraries out there first as I don''t want to reinvent the wheel. Does any one know of any web sites that have what I''m after?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
http://cal3d.sourceforge.net/

Grant it someone allready wrote one, but what would you get out of using that guys?

All I want to offer is this: When someone compliments you on your program, which would you rather say:

"Oh yeah, thanks. I wrote the routines myself, including the wrappers for the engine I used to animate the character models."

or

"Oh yeah thanks, I used cal3d."

Just offering my opinion. Remember that experience is always good to have. =)

~Dwarf

>Grant it someone allready wrote one, but what would you get out >of using that guys?

I''m not doing this to get experience. I''m doing this to get a job done in as short a time possible.

If you have a modeling program that supports 3ds files then you could use my lib called spider3D. You can check it out at http://www.spider3d.com/, it''s in the free section.

If you know how to make md2 files it supports those model files also.

If you want to know how to compile several 3ds files into one model with Spider3D, just give me an email and I''ll tell you how.

BTW, you''re just the type of person this lib was targeted for. However I did release the Spider3D ver 1.0 source code so that someone who does want to learn how to read 3ds and md2 model files, can.

quote:
Original post by Dwarf with Axe
Grant it someone allready wrote one, but what would you get out of using that guys?

heh.. well, like he said- why re-invent the wheel?
i mean, sure, learn how they did it.. look at the source,
mess with some stuff...
but if its something super complicated, what''s the point in
making your own, other than bragging rights?
you can use directx without writing your own api, correct?
or how bout opengl?
there''s no sense in doing something that''s already been done
unless you can do it better.

-eldee
;another space monkey;

I just checked out http://cal3d.sourceforge.net/. That lib is a little more advanced than mine. His supports hierarchical skeletal animations whereas mine does not yet. I am however working on an anarchical skeletal animation system for Spider3D, but that won''t be out for a while.

With a hierarchical system you can influence a limb at the base and the rest down the line will follow the lead. With an anarchical system if you influence a limb only that limb is effected.

I''m taking this modeling stuff one step at a time and eventually it''ll be super cool .

Right now my lib only supports animated meshes...takes up lots of memory :/. Frames are interpolated if you decide you want a smoother frame transition.

You mean a library compiled in VC++ 6.0 won''t work with a VC++ 5.0 compiler? That sucks :/. How could I make it 5.0 compatible?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!