• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blueshift

OGL 1.3 lib + header under Windows

This topic is 6193 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, OK, I''m getting *so* sick of Microsoft''s behaviour towards OpenGL. That''s why I''m currently writing my own implementation of an OpenGL 1.3 compliant opengl32.dll. I''ll make it available, as soon as it is usable. Now, I''m not so much a Windows guru (more Unix ), so does anyone know, where in the registry I can find the name of the currently active manufacturer OGL driver ? Since I have a GeForce class board, I currently link to the nv driver, but I''ll need to dynamically query the right one for other systems. And BTW: Is there anything M$ could legally do against me, if I release such a driver ? I don''t think so, but well, it''s M$... I guess, I''ll double check that with our lawyers, just to be sure. A.H aka Blueshift

Advertisement
if you have NVIDIAs latest drivers then u already have a OpenGL32.dll thats OpenGL 1.3, provided by NVIDIA as for any new functioon there may be use the OpenGL extension system.

And all this will link nicely with you MS lib, or even better why dont u go download the NVIDIA OpenGL 1.3 SDK.

The OpenGL32.dll is different for every 3d card manufacturer as the produce one copmpatible with there cards.

OpenGL32.dll is an interface or client library for applications using OpenGL. This lib was written by Microsoft and actually supports OpenGL 1.1. As far as I know there isn't newer version available. So Marvin, Opengl32.dll is not diffrent for every card manufacturer, it is the same. NVIDIA's OGL lib is called nvopengl.dll. This lib acts as an OGL ICD driver for your graphics card and provides it's functionality to other applications via standard opengl32.dll and OGL extensions. Whatever version of OGL your card's driver supports, in Windows you can use only OpenGL 1.1 because that is what Microsoft only provides to you. And that is why you have to use OGL extensions for functionality implemented beyond the version 1.1. One alternative to Microsoft's OpenGL interface (client) is Mesa library that is almost compatible and up to date. Blueshift I recommend you to take a look at glsetup library for more informations about OpenGL functions binding and it's registry keys. This site is currently under developement, though.

Edited by - QWERTY on December 26, 2001 6:59:44 AM

MS can be a problem since they have the legal rights for OpenGL under Windows. Be very careful about how you use the word "OpenGL". You can do it but be careful. This should be the same as distributing an OpenGL library built on top of Direct3D like GLDirect from SciTech.

Did you get it 100% working on your own system?

Guest Anonymous Poster
> Did you get it 100% working on your own system?

Not yet, I just started yesterday

It''s more a side product of our current game project, I''m fed up being forced to use this extension stuff, just because of M$''s monopolistic product politics. I''m adding gl function pointers to the lib, as I need them for the game.

It is primarily meant as a static linked lib so that we have native 1.3 support for our game. But I would like to release it as general purpose opengl32.dll replacement, it would be nice if everybody had full 1.3 support under Windows. Technically, no problem, but as I said, I''m not entirely sure about the legal side. I know that SGI enforces their trademarks on ''OpenGL'' rather hard, but that''s no problem, since I won''t call a separate product using their name (such as MesaGL or OpenNL, both got big probs).

I''m not sure about the position of M$ in all of this, but I highly doubt that they can stop me from releasing a generic wrapper lib of an opensource graphics library. The license would be comparable to the Mesa license. But, well, I''m going to check that with our company''s legal department.

Still need to know this registry entry, though...

A.H aka Blueshift

why not just coordinate with Mesa and contribute to the project? No use reinventing the wheel on some of this. They are doing wonders as far as an open-source OpenGL implementation.

I''m not interested in creating an OpenSource OpenGL distribution.

I want up to date OGL dll, lib and .h files, that''s all. Mesa is big, clumsy and slow. I want a slim and fast ''plug out old M$ lib and plug in new one'' opengl32 replacement. No software renderer or stuff like that.

And I need all the rights on the implementation, I can''t use another GPL''ed one, since it will be statically included in a commercial product.
So, if anyone is interested, drop me line.
A.H aka Blueshift

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!