• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yanuart

Real Time Animation

This topic is 6112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Have u ever watched those cool real time 3D animation like in Metal Gear Solid ?? or endings of Tekken Tag ?? How did those guys did that ?? Do they have to build their own animation tool or use 3rd parties software such MAX, etc ?? if so, can somebody tell me how can a programmer use those 3d tools and then use it in my game program..

Advertisement
Isn''t all the animation of Metal Gear Solid done within the game''s engine? Just scripted sequences, as far as I can tell...

Real-time Heirarchial animation(ie people moving around with bending joints) has been done for years in games. Are you curious about the quality they achieved, or facial animations, etc?

Well..
1. I don''t think it''s done with script, the complexity of the animation is way too huge for a script kinda-type animation..
2. Thrumph, I''m interested in porting my animation which I''ve allready made in MAX into my game, have somebody done this before ?? And I don''t mean just exporting an object/mesh, but the whole scene and animation..

too complex for scripts? you are very silly. first the frames are created. then using scripts you link the frames together (thus reusing frames and saving space). if the engine supports motion blending it makes things even easier, since you can blend simpler animations into more complex ones. if head tracking is availible, you can script the engine to have the charecter look at a particular point and move its head/eyes to follow the path like a camera. of course motion capture makes the character animations easier. scripting comes into play for controlling positions of objects and when certain effects should occer. remember anything you can program can be scripted using a custom scripting engine.

omaha : can u tell me a good site to look for info on how script works ?? how do u know that animation in MGS was done by script ??

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!