• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halloween

Sprite Morphing

This topic is 6110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Say, I''ve got two sprites - they are similar at general. Is there any efficient way to draw third sprite, which is half-first and half-second? Something between them.

Advertisement
Thanks, but this is not what I''ve meant.
If I use alpha blending, I will end with some clumpy half-transparent union of the two pictures.
I''d really like to calculate some, say, erm.. SPRITErnion (that''s like quaternion - half in sprite space, half in complex), and then smoothly interpolate between two points in the sprite space Didn''t somebody ever hear about such a theory?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Have you ever tried a program which does 2D morphing? Morphing is much more complex and slow in 2D than in 3D and I''m not sure it is possible to do it in realtime (correct me if I''m wrong). One obvious solution is to pre-render your morphing animation (by using a program for 2D morphing or a 3D modeling program which supports 3D morphing) and then play it in your game.

G''day!

Depending on the images, realtime morphing shouldn''t be a problem. It''ll be a little complicated to set up (again, depending on the images) but possible.

Morphing programs use control points on the 2 images to push/pull the image from one to the other (wow that''s a bad explanation). If you built a mesh for the sprite, you can tween the vertices between the 2 shapes and blend the colours.

You''d probably need to write a tool to set up the sprites (control point placement and all) but it should work. I''ve thought about doing something like this before, but I''ve never had the time.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!