• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blaster

Poor framerate with 128k primitives

This topic is 6020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a terrain rendering system (wow, how original). Everything works fine, except that when I see my whole terrain, it gets really slow. I draw around 130 000 primitives with a triangle list. I have a TNT1, is 130 000 triangles too much? I get around 5fps when drawing my whole world. If 130 000 is too much, what can I do when I see my terrain completely? LOD?

Advertisement
I have back face culling (no duh...) and view frustum. My frustum culling does work, because I get 150+ fps when I see nothing, and 25 fps when I see a small part of my world.
I don't have a quad/octree yet, but my terrain is splitted in blocks.

I don't use any index buffer, and my vertex buffer is created with D3DPOOL_MANAGED. Hopefully it is stored in video memory, can I can't tell. I tried D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM and I get the same performance, so maybe the vertex buffer is in system ram with D3DPOOL_MANAGED (for an unknown reason).

Do I have to do something special so that the managed vertex buffers are stored in video memory?

I get that poor performance when I see my whole terrain, so culling doesn't make any difference since I see everything. So if 650ktri/s is my card's best performance, I simply have nothing do to or what? (Except buy another card, why not a cheap GeForce2)

Edited by - Blaster on December 26, 2001 2:03:47 PM

The next thing you want to do is start to make the terrain less detailed furthur out. In other words collapse the triangles so that far away parts are less complicated...Some basic lod is need here.

Yes, that''s cool. I guess I really have no choice. I didn''t thought LOD would be needed for this simple test.

Anyway, implementing LOD will be cool. Once I have my quadtree it should be easy. I read that the plane equation on the far plane of the view frustum can be used to find the distance from the camera. Nice.

Thank you all.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!