dummy question : Lighting with gluLookAt

Started by
2 comments, last by benliong 22 years, 3 months ago
I was wondering, if you don''t use gluLookAt in your codes, then the lights you put in (lighti) has no effects right? what''s the default light they use then?
Advertisement
How comes that you think gluLookAt would affect lighting? It only affects the camera (direction, FOV), but like in real life it doesn''t touch the lights.
umm, GL_LIGHTi has nothing to do with "gluLookAt". "gluLookAt" is just another way of using "glRotate" and "glTranslate" to define your current viewing coordinates.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
Yeah I''d learnt that from my graphics course. what I don''t understand is that in NEHE''s tutorial, he uses translation to do what I would do in gluLookAt, and then I changed that bit of code to gluLoopAt, and wow! the scene looked totally different.

With gluLookAt, it looks like there is diffused lighting taken into calculation, while it just look like pure ambient light without gluLookAt. That just seem really strange to me that''s all.

I''m looking at Lesson 27 By the way.

Thanks in advanced.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement