Scaring the crap out of people

Started by
22 comments, last by Dwarf with Axe 22 years, 3 months ago
Say nanoprobe instead of nanoprobic, its sounds more professional. Also might want to leave out the mirco-robot part and just say Medical breakthrough or some thing to that effect, micro-robot followed by nanoprobe technology almost sounds like your repeating yourself. Just a suggestion.
Advertisement
I would agree that the players won''t care about the scientific stuff, so don''t tell them...not outright details, anyway. I can tell you from PnP RPG experience, at least, that as long as you have things worked out, the story will stay consistent, and the players WILL notice that. Both of these principles work together when you want to scare someone. In System Shock 2, you didn''t know what was going on, at least not for a little while. Based on Xerxes''s PA announcements, the mutterings of the Hybrid, and various other elements, there seemed to be an overall controlling intelligence. It all tied together. If you add the "I don''t know what''s around the corner" with "It may know what''s on THIS side of the corner", you get "I''m going to leave the light on tonight."

Having said that, your story sounds like "Jurassic Evil 4". With the exception of the mesa, the island is laid out exactly like the first Jurassic Park. I would really suggest changing that. That''s another thing the players will pick up on, even if they don''t realize what''s bothering them. Another suggestion would be to actually write out the intro thing as a story and let friends/teachers/relatives read it. Ask specifically if it scared them. If not, try again. Don''t be afraid to rewrite something you like if it doesn''t help you...which here means scaring the pants off people.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
*cough*Borg*cough*

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

quote:BTW, for the robots to recreate eachother, they´ll need iron, and for that, the host needs to eat iron...

Is this a plot idea? I hope so, since iron has not been and will never be used for nanites. Carbon is the preferred atom of choice for smaller objects, it''s much more flexible, there is a reason that we''re called carbon-based lifeforms... carbon is probably the wonder atom. The only thing that comes close to it in usefulness is hydrogen, closely followed by oxygen.

Iron? It''s only usefulness is that it''s hard. Detriments that you don''t want is the ease of change, such as oxidation. It''s not like you can turn it into stainless steel and then use it for nanites.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement