dual monitors

Started by
4 comments, last by steg 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I have two monitors set up, one is plugged into a video card which is in the AGP bus slot, the other through a PCI video card. I want the AGP one to be the main one, i.e.when debugging I want to drag Visual studio onto the monitor which is plugged into the PCI card. Windows seems to use the PCI one by default all the time, can I get round this problem - I want windows to use the AGP as default (i.e. task bar etc.,shown on AGP) ? So, when I''m booting my PC up, it uses the AGP video card and not the PCI. Any help is much appreciated. sTeVe

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

Advertisement
You didn''t mention what OS you are using, but i''ll tell you how it''s done under win2k pro.

If you right click on the desktop->properties->settings there is a checkbox "use this device as my primary monitor". Highlight the monitor you want to use as the primary one, enable the checkbox, and click apply.

For the task bar just left click on an empty part of it, and drag it where you want. (i.e. sides, top, or even the other monitor)

good luck,
don

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin
Hi Don,
I''m using win98. I think the main problem is that when I boot my PC up it is defaulting to use PCI video as opposed to AGP - I''ve looked at my bios settings and cannot find anywhere to change this - my motherboard is quiet new, under 6 months old.

Cheers Don for your help.
sTeVe

Steve:

mine does that too. when i boot the machine, output is directed to the monitor attached to the PCI card. It does this right up to the win2k splash screen. As soon as win2k is loaded, however, output is redirected to the monitor attached to the AGP card.

I''m not entirely sure how how multi-monitor support works under win98, but i would guess that if you right click on the desktop->properties->settings, you should be able to force either monitor to be the default one.

As far as which monitor will get the output when booting, i''ve never tried forcing that to the AGP monitor. I guess what i''m saying is that to get your PCI monitor to be the default when windows is running, it doesn''t necessarily have to be the default monitor when windows is booting.

Let me know if that helps.

don

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin
Yep, the Win98 multimonitor works like that too...

In the display settings, instead of just a single monitor you get two (or more if you have more - I''ve used 3 in the past). You can as said above simply click and drag the picture of the monitor to determine which virtual desktop goes where (left or right monitor).

In terms of DirectX, the AGP card should always be the one which is chosen for D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT regardless of where that monitor is on the virtual desktop.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thanks guys,

I''ve got my PC to boot now using the AGP first, it was a setting in the BIOS. Problem now though is that I can''t get a display on the PCI video card! The screen just sits there with the usual windows message of if you want to use this adapter as part of your windows desktop, open the display option in control panel....I''ve done this, but when I select this monitor and enable it, it says it has but going back into control panel yields that it hasn''t?!
I guess you need to boot with PCI first, but I still can''t get my AGP to be default - I''ve tried everything ?

Any other ideas ?

Thanks,
sTeVe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement