• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maiku

VB MMORPG.. Users Online list?

This topic is 6022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I am working on an MMORPG in Visual Basic. I am trying to make a box that shows the users that are currently online. Do you guys know how I should go about doing it? Thanks for the help... --Mike

Advertisement
assuming you are using the GUI (and not DX or something), you can use a ListBox control.
i am also assuming that you already have a list or collection of users online; just use this data to fill the ListBox. if you don''t have this yet, then you should work on that first

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

i just saw your other (duplicate) post... btw, don''t do that!
anyways, based on what you said there, search for "winsock" and "visual basic" (and possibly "client" and/or "server") in google or altavista or something.
you are a long way from finishing an online game, but don''t quit quite yet; the information is out there, you just need the time.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

I see no point in learning C++ for such game, but anyways.. Have the server sent any new players/leaving players to you, so you can add/remove the player from a simple array. Simply show the array somewhere using DX functions, or like previously mentioned listbox. At connecting have the server sent *all* players to you..

Should work fine...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!