• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digitaldirt

earth hit by asteroid?

This topic is 6190 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can a large asteroid hit the earth and knock it from its orbit? Is that scientifically possible? what would be the after effects of such an event? thanks.

Advertisement
Well we would need one LARGE asteroid! We would need something roughly the size of the moon. I dont think the earth would go out of orbit, it would simply be destroyed on the impact and an asteroid belt would be formed roughly at the same distance from the sun.

What would be the effect on the other planets of the solar system? Negligeable. The force of gravity that keeps all the planets on their orbits comes mainly from the sun... The planets are like a drop of water in the sea and are almost never taken into account when calculating the orbits. Note that taking away Jupiter would certainly have an effect on the orbits of the planets, but by how much? Not sure, but not much.

I aint no expert in astrophysics, but this is my take.

Edited by - Genre on December 26, 2001 11:46:29 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
If a large asteroid hit the earth, getting knocked out of orbit would be the last of your worries as you would either be vaporized or freeze to death.

What would have to happen in order for the earth to leave or knock out of its orbit to exit our solar system? I'd be curious to know, if anyone has any theories.?

also, I am not worried about the vaporizing or freezing. Right now I'm just wondering if the Earth can exit the system at all...

thanks.

Edited by - digitaldirt on December 26, 2001 11:55:57 PM

provided the Earth doesnt hit other asteroids or planets along the way, I would say the planet could leave our solar system

but like the others said, we would need a really big asteroid

"Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose"

heh, well... i dont think a ''moon'' sized asteroid would destroy the earth...
if an asteroid was traveling superfast, i''d think it might be
enough, but i''d speculate you''d need at least 3/8 - 1/2 the earth''s mass to do that.

-eldee
;another space monkey;

I have a plan...

A LARGE asteroid enters the solar system. It is travelling not much faster than the earth rotates the sun, say 5 or 10 mph .

The asteroids' trajectory means it ends up following Earth just at the right time, and contact is made between the two at say 20 mph (EDIT - For future reference - i realise that the gravity between earth and the asteroid would mean this number would be larger!). The resulting push, not impact, from the asteroid would be enough for something to happen. (Unfortunatly, ASCII art is unable to demonstrate what I mean ).

Maybe the earth could be pushed into a chaotic elipsoidal orbit. If the earth got close enough to the sun (or jupiter) to get a really big slingshot, maybe it would leave the system.

I think were safe for now though

http://www.geocities.com/streampark

Edited by - streampark on December 29, 2001 7:19:56 PM

quote:
Original post by streampark
A LARGE asteroid enters the solar system. It is travelling not much faster than the earth rotates the sun, say 5 or 10 mph .

Ahem...The earth travels something like 10000 meters/sec(or was it more)

Sorry but how this can ever deal with a game forum ?
anyway i think so , it should be very large to knock the earth off its orbit but it may happen very likely and the earth would rotate for ever in the space , maybe attracted by sun''s gravity and burn the more it comes near the sun itself and all the gravity configuration of the solar systme would be messed up for the rest of the times.....

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!