• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drdarkon

Beginner with a question

This topic is 6201 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I''m sorta new to programming and need some help, if you dont mind. I''m not a total newbie, I have made a pong game in Windows GDI. I have made a sorta okay in an cruddy little engine I found, but it was good for me then. I have been looking into this Direct X 8 and seeing how it is different completely different from Direct X 7. I have read the tutorials on this sight about them and people have suggested I look into something like D3DSPRITE. I''m not sure exactly what that is and I was wondering if you had any good tutorials on how to use and implement that from start to finish. Also, as a beginner, do you think I should use someone else''s engine or spend a little time creating my own. Does it take long to make my own simple rendering system in Direct X 8? Or is it too difficult for someone at my stage of experience. Much appreciated if you could help. - Jesse

Advertisement
Yes, it will take MUCH time to create your own 3D engine, but you also will surely learn much while writing them. (Them --> I bet you will write your first, throw it away; write the second, surely better one, but throw it away. After some iterations you will finally be pleased.)

OmniBrain, actually doing the 5th iteration.

quote:

Yes, it will take MUCH time to create your own 3D engine

No offense, but I think he''s refering to a 2d engine. And yes, I believe that at your present skill level, a super dynamic object-oriented 2d engine would be a good thing to try a hand at.(and maybe even go overboard with the oop part, you''ll need the skills later) Anyway, DX8 isn''t really any more backwards than the rest of the DX series, just read the documents that came with them. Oh those documents, lots of great content in them those documents. Cool name by the way,
Cheers,
-Jesse

Oh yeah, if you still can''t tackle DX send me an email at shoebox@post.com .

Thanks for the help everyone. SIGMA your input helped a bunch. I think I will try and create my own little rendering engine by myself, that way I will know my way around it very well and can get some simple games up and running. SIGMA, I''m guessing your name is Jesse too, which is a very cool name I must admit...hehe.
Anyway I just picked up a book called Introduction to Computer Game Programming with Direct X 8.0 that I believe will serve me good in learning about DX. Yes I was talking about creating a 2D engine, as a 3D engine is way over my head at this point.
Okay all, thanks for the help and SIGMA I will contact you if I have any questions.

Thanks a bunch
- Jesse

well, you need an engine to make a game, no?
you can either use someone else''s, and lose out on the chance to reinvent the wheel, or program your own and [hopefully] get a better wheel than you could have downloaded. or, if not, you''ll at least learn some stuff

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Believe me Merlin I would much rather make a game than an engine... but Krez is right, I need an engine to make a game. Since I am currently in the learning stage of all this I think it would be best to go ahead and make a simple engine first, then work on the game.

- Jesse

An engine is the stuff that makes the game work, but its focus is on making things so flexible that it could, say, be used for other games just by changing a little code and some graphics, and such. I''d say that, at the early stage at which most people around here are, people just waste their times on engines when it''s okay to hard-code things just to get a game done (provided that they realize that it''s bad when they get to the engine stage)...

But it''s really funny how, since DOOM came out, nobody talks about games so much as their engines. The x engine does this, and how do I add y to my 3D engine. So, my gripe is really more about the phrasing which seems to indicate far more interest in the technology behind games, rather than the games themselves...

...which, perhaps, is why most games these days just suck. They''re tons "prettier," but aren''t much more innovative than what was there before them...

Merlin, dude, I agree. If developers spent as much time on the game they''re actually creating as they did on engine development, we''d be very happy gamers.

Still, I''m bit of a hypocrite on this one. I''m creating a game engine. But I''m doing that first to allow me greater freedom when it comes to making the game (well, probably just a demo)...

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!