My introduction + Questions (Newbie)

Started by
4 comments, last by RobP 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I''m the newest addition to the newbies This topic is mainly just to introduce myself to all of you. I''m a student in Programming and i have a little programming experience (the basics..) I always wanted to make games, because it''s the "creative" side of programming and i like to play ''em But my biggest problem is starting.. I don''t know where to start and what to do, i usually have a rough idea in my head, but that''s as far as i go (I don''t even have C++ or any other programming tool on my PC). Also i don''t know what i should use, i got some experience in C++ and Pascal/Delphi but that''s it. Another problem (more problems??) is that i don''t know how to make it "visual". I can only use Forms+standard Components in Delphi or the MS-DOS box in C++. How do i make a Windows Program that uses Graphics and suchs. To make it easier (if that''s possible) i ask u if there is a Tutorial + working Source/Demo of a game (Where i could Learn from... so NO QUAKE 2 SOURCE ) What i have in mind is a Top-Down (ala Firebird/Hinotori (an old MSX game) ''shooter?''. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. tnx, RobP - The forums New N00b ps: sorry for the bad english Tripped on his own grenade
Tripped on his own grenade
Advertisement
Hey, welcome!

If you''re not looking to spend any money I''d head over to Bloodshed and download Dev-C++ which is a nice IDE that comes with a nice C++ compiler (for free ).

Next, if you''re familiar enough with C++ then go to Winprog and read the tutorial there. That should be enough to get you started.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
quote:Original post by Invader X
Hey, welcome!

If you''re not looking to spend any money I''d head over to <a href="http://www.bloodshed.net">Bloodshed</a> and download Dev-C++ which is a nice IDE that comes with a nice C++ compiler (for free ).

Next, if you''re familiar enough with C++ then go to <a href="http://www.winprog.org">Winprog</a> and read the tutorial there. That should be enough to get you started.

Invader X
<a href="http://www.invadersrealm.com" target="_blank">Invader''s Realm</a>

Hmmm.. That''s all win32 and C, not C++ at all...

--

Anyway, it''s certainly a good place to get started with win32. The ''for beginners'' link in the ''resources'' section on this site has about all you need to get started with game development.

Also, check out the articles/tutorials, and the books section (Lamothe''s books are appreciated by people new to both windows and game programming, but again, it''s all C).

Have fun.

Tnx for all your (vary fast i may add) answers

Invader : I haven't heard of "bloodshed" but ihope it won't be killer to my 56k modem, otherwise i can just use the borland c++ (dunno which version) CD @ home

Anonymous : tnx, i'll check that out too.

btw: i looked at that site about Win32 programs, it's a LOT harder than i thought (to even make a window costs about 60 lines of code) i guess i'm spoiled with the Drag&drop of Delphi

tnx,
RobP

Edited by - RobP on December 27, 2001 10:06:04 AM
If you''re just looking to make a game for fun then it''s very easily done in Delphi.
Just draw a shape in the midle of the form and have it bounce around the window by giving it a x and y speed and reversing the speed when it hits the cordinates for the bondary of the window something like this SpeedX = -SpeedX. Use a while loop to update the balls position and a sleep function to make sure that it don''t run to fast.

something like:
while(gameRuning) do
begin

if(ballPosX > MaxX or ballPosX < 0) then
begin
SpeedX = -SpeedX;
end
else if (ballPosY > MaxY or ballPosY < 0) then
begin
SpeedY = -SpeedY;
end
end;

ballPosX = ballPosX + SpeedX;
ballPosY = ballPosY + SpeedY;

{Here you''ll have to do the actuly moving of the shape, don''tr reber how to do this but I do remember that it was easy}

Sleep(50); {Or however you call a sleep function in Delphi}

end;

And you have the begining of a breakout game. Ok that''s not a top down shoot em up but it''s a begining and ya have to start somewhere (it''s posible to do such games as you wish to do in Delphi so the time you spend doing this won''t be wasted).

PS. I apoligize for my code, it was quite some time since I was into Pascal. DS.
Hey there! I would recommend you buy a good book on C++, such as Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours , orTeach yourself C++ in 21 Days (a little thicker and a lot more facts than the other one). I haven't read these books, but I here they are one of the best ways to learn C++. After you learn C++, I recommend you go to winprog.com ,or, you can go straight into buying Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus , by Andre LaMothe. It's an awesome book, and it's probably the best way to get started on game programming, even if it is a bit old. From then, you can choose your own route, but I suggest that after reading those books, you go to NeHe, for the best OpenGL tutorials in the West. And that's not just my opinion.

Edited by - tuxx on December 27, 2001 5:48:41 PM
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement