• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoffreyF67

Newbie Math Question

This topic is 6110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve decided to get into game programming. I''ve got 10 years of experience with programming but zero games experience. So, I figure I have an uphill climb. Anyhow, I was wondering, what type of math should I study for games programming? I eventually want to work for an MMORPG company if that makes any difference on the math I need.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
For 3D anything, you''ll need the stuff that TJoppen mentioned. For an MMORPG the only math I think you''ll need is addition and subtraction!

Guest Anonymous Poster
try www.gameinistute.com they have math courses for about $95 for math on games.

As long as one has his pencil and his peice of paper, he can figure out his own formulas

Which is what i do 70% of all times...And then we´re talking complex formulae, not some ass-whipe moving-an-object-if-you-know-it''s-orientation formulas, but more to the 3d math part...

geofrrey:if you want to do anything complex you will need the calculus physics(whatever).

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/

Linear algerbra, calculus, and calculus-based physics.
You can sqeak by with a full ocurse of high-school algerbra, but I dont reccomend it.
See, games are moving toward curved surfaces, and calculus enables you to understand them.

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''lion

Edited by - Vlion on December 29, 2001 12:53:36 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!