• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RelisH

Optimizations

This topic is 6024 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What sorts of optimizations does the Visual C++ 6 compiler (enterprise version) do? The ones that about which I am most curious is whether it removes redundant brackets (i.e a = "(1+(6*9));") and if it doesn''t include any functions that aren''t used

Advertisement
parenthesis, eg. ''('' and '')'' don''t generate code themselves, they can control the order of the code generation.

So basically on that front you have nothing to worry about.

As far as removing functions that aren''t used from a binary image, that is the job of the linker.

''strip dead code'' or some other such optimizations for the linker will help reduce code size. but that has no direct impact on performance of the code - it may impact the performance of the application - if it fits in a smaller memory footprint there could be less swap file activity.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!