• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nitzan

Transperancy vs Blending

This topic is 6115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way to do transperancy in opengl without blending ? If I have an image file, how do I mark one color as transparent ? Nitzan ------------------------- www.geocities.com/nitzanw www.scorchedearth3d.net -------------------------

Advertisement
Hi,

I''m not sure but I think that it''s impossible for not use the blending.

I''ve a example who use alpha canal for displaying a tree without the black background.

Alpha blending is easy to use.

You can see on my site.

========================
Leyder Dylan
http://ibelgique.ifrance.com/Slug-Production/

When loading the image file, check each pixels colour, and assign it 0 alpha if it is the colour you wish to block out.

-----------------------
0wn 0wn 0wn your goat
gently down the pw33n

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

Is there a way to do transperancy in opengl without blending

Hmm. Normally transparency = blending.

You could use alpha-stippling, this creates transparency (sort of) without needing to blend. But it''s an old technique, looks ugly, and I don''t know, if it is accelerated on modern 3D boards. The upside is that you won''t have any problems with the zbuffer (as with blending) and that it is pretty fast on software only renderers.

use 32bit tga files with alpha channels, look at the picking tutorial to see what i mean. Its the tutorial where you get to shoot things like soda cans and what not. Thats what i use.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!