Frustum culling possible optimization?

Started by
12 comments, last by Moe 22 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by GalaxyQuest
Moe, I think your "idea" is exactly what the frustum culling of 6 planes does. So, no, you dont have an optimization for that culling method.

What I am saying is check all the objects against the ''camera plane'', then check all the objects against the next plane, then the next and so on. If you check the camera plane first, you can practically dump half the objects right there and don''t check them any further. That is what I am saying. Save yourself some cross-products by doing the checks in a specific order AND check all the objects against one plane, then another and so on. Re-read my previous post more carefully to see what I mean.

Moe''s site
Advertisement
We understand what you mean Moe, but it really doesnt matter what order you do it in, because your not necesarilly going to have ''half'' the objects behind the camera. Let''s pretend you do have 80% of those objects behind the camera. But now turn 90 degrees to your right. Now 80% of the objects are behind the right plane of the frustum.

Your world is not going to have a uniform distribution of objects, and therefore a specific order of culling is going to do little to no good whatsoever.

Waramp.Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.That way, when you do insult him, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have his shoes.
simple way to figure out if you need to or not

option a: no software culling - if you are doing simple calls where even doing a test is slower than drawing it.

option 2: software culling - if each part being tested also has stuff like software lighting and so on, where the main speed loss is from the drawing of the object, not the culling test.

Lets face it, a good culling function should only a few times slower than an if(1) call.

Beer - the love catalyst
good ol'' homepage
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
quote:Original post by WarAmp
We understand what you mean Moe, but it really doesnt matter what order you do it in, because your not necesarilly going to have ''half'' the objects behind the camera. Let''s pretend you do have 80% of those objects behind the camera. But now turn 90 degrees to your right. Now 80% of the objects are behind the right plane of the frustum.

Your world is not going to have a uniform distribution of objects, and therefore a specific order of culling is going to do little to no good whatsoever.

Ah, I suppose so.

Moe''s site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement