This is now doing my head in - SOS

Started by
6 comments, last by steg 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi I''ve already posted this earlier about dual monitors. Well, I''m using win98 but it WON''T let me set my AGP to be the primary monitor, instead it uses my crappy pci card. Does anybody know how to change this, it seems impossible. I''ve had it boot up using my AGP card but then the PCI card wouldn''t work - windows kept crashing ?!? What I''ve done now is dragged everything off the PCI monitor onto my AGP one but everytime I kick an app up they appear on the PCI monitor, most of them anyway ? I''ve also noted that some games even though they detect the two video cards and I tell them to use the AGP one, they don''t ?!?! Please somebody put some light on this, it''s driving me mad! Reg''ds, sTeVe

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

Advertisement
1. What are the two cards ?

2. What are the driver versions for the two cards ?

First step for you is to get both working together in Windows.

Next step is to make your rendering output go to the AGP card. Usually the AGP card should be the primary card in the system so D3D_ADAPTER_DEFAULT would select this card.

However if:
a) the drivers for the PCI are particularly naughty.
OR
b) the machine had a PCI card in BEFORE an AGP card was ever installed (and its drivers were never properly uninstalled).
OR
c) the BIOS settings are forcing the PCI to be enumerated or use earlier resources than the AGP card.

The PCI card could appear first. In that case, simply change your D3D startup code to go for adapter 1 instead of D3D_ADAPTER_DEFAULT.

What you could do to help clean the machine up:
1. Go to Add/Remove programs and remove any entries for software relating to the PCI card.

2. replace the drivers for the PCI card in the display settings with Standard VGA. (Display Properties -> Settings ->Advanced... -> Adapter -> Change... -> "Display a list...in a specific location" -> Show All Hardware -> (Standard display types).

3. do the same two things for the AGP card.

4. turn the machine off.

5. physically remove the PCI card.

6. put your BIOS back to safe/factory defaults.

7. re-start the machine and reinstall the drivers for the AGP card.

8. test the AGP card with DXDIAG and the SDK samples (DXDIAG will also indicate if you have multiple dead registry entries for the old PCI card).

9. turn off the machine and reinstall the PCI card. If the monitor is plug & play, don''t connect it to the card.

10. When Plug-n-Play finds the PCI card, install the correct drivers for it.

11. check what DXDIAG has to say.

12. if you''ll be using a PnP monitor with the PCI card, turn off, connect the monitor and reboot.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thanks for all your advice Simon, alas though when win98
comes to installing drivers for PCI card it always locks up.
I''m going to install win2k I think.

Reg''ds,
sTeVe

Its very simple, i had this same problem 3 weeks ago when i got a new agp video card and my old one was a pci.

Simply enter your system bios and set the primary display to use the agp port instead of the pci port.

Possibility
Thanks Possibility but I already done that and on using 98
it would hang after initialising the PCI card ?!

Reg''ds,
sTeVe

I''ve now changed my AGP card and it all works fine and dandy. One problem with one game I''ve just got - Rally Championship Xmtreme - setting the video options to use my AGP, it still uses the PCI ?!

Reg''ds,
sTeVe

Try taking your pci card out. I had a similiar problem with a game with I had my voodoo3 PCI in with my radeon AGP, the game went to the pci card fro someone unknown reason (the game was Gothic), but all other games defaulted to my new radeon. But in many 3D games if you go into the options you can set what display adapater to use.

Possibility
Thanks Possibility,

I actually just set AGP as default in the bios like you said in one of your posts and that has sorted it. This game did though ask which card to use but still it used the PCI one until I set the AGP as default in the bios ?!

Reg''ds,
sTeVe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement