• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trin

Book: "The Zen of Direct3D" Sample Problems

This topic is 6194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all I bought the "The Zen Of Direct3D" and tried to run a few samples on it.... and the don't work. They just display a black screen, nothing else. Even a simple static triangle sample doesn't work. I sent it over to a friend who tested it aswell, same black screen. i am a beginner in D3D and not a master in C++, i have no chance to figure it out myself. -The samples are coded for DX8.0, i am running Windows XP which uses DX8.1. Could this be a problem? I doubt it .... -Does anyone know the book and the samples? Perhaps they run for you? -What else can i do? Thanks for your help!! // Trin Edited by - Trin on December 27, 2001 5:20:07 PM

Advertisement
Hi Trin,
I''ve got that book and the samples - ones that actually are on the cd (most of them aren''t) do work, I''m running win98 with DirectX V8.0

Hope this helps ?

sTeVe

yea Zen''s code on cd is buggy, most of the stuff I read in book was good but I used the sdk for learning how to write the code . Also http://nexe.gamedev.net and www.drunkenhyena.com use those sites to

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

NeXe

My Homepage

thanx for the quick help, guys. yep, i tried to run the samples from the cd, and they don''t work. that is why i asked.

just found the website www.drunkenhyena.com before i read your replies. i will check these tutorials. thanx again!

just get the static triangle to work in windowed mode. for a reason i have no clue about it doesn''t work for me in fullscreen.

i thought i mention it, perhaps someone else can use it ....

Trin,

If you tell me exactly which sample you are trying to run (the CD is organized really poorly) I will try it for you on XP. I am using some of the Zen code and so far I have spent a lot of time fixes bugs.

thanx for your offer, steg! much appreciated!

i tried this sample with the static triangle:
\Examples\Chapter 12\static triangle\

also the others from the chapter don''t work for me. but if you could fix this i can figure out the rest aswell.

looks like i am not the only one who has problems with these samples ....

I tried the sample under Windows XP and DirectX 8.1 with the 8.1 SDK. Unfortunatley, it does seem to run. I compiled and ran the sample in debug mode without a problem.

Not sure that you really want to be learning from this code. It is full of bugs and doesn''t use the Microsoft framework. I would actaully recommend "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming". It is a better book, uses the framework, and has complete sample programs.

What video card are you using? Did you download the 8.1 SDK from Microsoft, it wasn''t installed as part of XP? You ight try upgrading your video drivers?

yes, i am using the 8.1 SDK. my gfx card is a geforce 2 pro (hercules) and i have the latest driver installed. i checked for new drivers before i posted here

strange examples then. i ordered the book you mentioned yesterday. i hope it arrives on monday

thanx for your help!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!