• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brobanx

Converting to .x files.

This topic is 6198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m having trouble converting my .max files from 3ds max to .x files. I got the plug-in for 3ds max (made my microsoft) that converts from max to x, but whenever I use it, the .x file is left with no texture coordinates, everything else about the file is converted properly. I know i can convert from .3ds files to .x just fine, but the .3ds files are not from 3ds max and also have no texture co-ordinates when I convert from .max to .3ds. I need someway of converting my max models to .x with texture co-ordinates intact. Is this a common problem / something with the plug-in that Microsoft missed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Unfortunately, your problem is common. I''ve also tried to convert .max file to .x via 3dsmax2 plug-in. Then, after conversion (with textures), I viewed my 3d model in 3D-Viewer (included in DX7 SDK). Result - no textures and when I tried to rotate a model, few its parts were still in the same place as they were after conversion - they didn''t moved.
After 3ds->x conversion, model didn''t looked as this I created in 3dsmax.
I think the best way to use 3d models in your dx world is to download some free 3d engines, look into these codes and copy 3d model loading function into your code. Some of 3d engines could load 3ds files into your dx world. The good one is Crystal Space - crystal.linuxgames.com.
I think that would help you enough :-)

{sorry for my english, I know it''s bad :-(}

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!