• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drdarkon

Color Depth Question in Direct X 8

This topic is 6199 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay I was wondering... for my 2D game in Direct X 8. I want to have some very nice lush looking backgrounds and graphics as does my artist. Now I''m at the point wondering what color depth to do it all in. I have noticed their is no 16 bit bitmap format and 8 bit is just not colorful enough for me... Should I use 16 bit and have my artist do all the work in 24 bit or will that lower the quality? Or should I set everything to 24 bit and let my artist work in 24 bit also. Will 24 bit be too much of a performance hit over 16 bit considering quality? - Jesse

Advertisement
to make it short:
1.as far as bitmaps fit into your vidmem you will still get very good rendering times in 32bpp mode. dx8 uses 3d hardware to do all the rendering and a 2d game is mostly very simple comparing to engines like q3a. Therefore most 3d hardware accelerations will work great under 32bpp. But you should enable a 16bpp mode too for older hardware (esp. voodoo1,2,3 cards)
PCs tend to have a lot of hd/mem space, therefore you can make all graphics 24/32bpp and modify it while loading to needed format (16/32bpp) depending on yuor rendering mode.
On 3d hardware 16bpp mode doesn''t look very good. There is a big quality drop between 32 and 16bpp mode.

Hope it helps

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/

Now that Direct X 8 is out will games I write using Direct Draw work? I have a book on Direct X 8 that uses Direct Draw even though I have heard it has been erased. Even if I can use Direct Draw in DX8 will it run fast for my 2D games that I make? This is quite important as I am not quite sure what to do now... Direct Draw or .... hm....

Thanks if you can help
- Jesse

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!