• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drdarkon

DDraw or DGraphics... I'm confused

This topic is 6022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now that Direct X 8 is out will games I write using Direct Draw work? I have a book on Direct X 8 that uses Direct Draw even though I have heard it has been erased. Even if I can use Direct Draw in DX8 will it run fast for my 2D games that I make? This is quite important as I am not quite sure what to do now... Direct Draw or .... hm.... Thanks if you can help - Jesse (sorry about all the posts... you guys are really helpful and very smart... thanks a bunch)

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
DirectX is backwards compatible, so a game that uses Direct Draw (from DirectX 7) will work on a computer with DirectX 8 installed. But you might need the DirectX 7 SDK to develop it, im not sure thought.

You will not need the DX 7 SDK as its basically included with DX 8 You will have no problems writing Direct Draw stuff. You will be using the DX 7 version to use Direct Draw but it is still in there (or atleast I''ve been able to compile my old stuff still).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!