• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MENTAL

OpenGL on XBOX

This topic is 6019 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

it''s probably been asked before, but i was wondering if DX8 was the only way to go on the XBOX, seeing as the GL tests on a geforce3 are quite often noticably faster than the DX ones?

Advertisement
1. Xbox uses a version of Direct based on (but not the same as) DirectX 8. AFAIK there is no version of OpenGL for Xbox.

2. Xbox isn''t a PC - comparisons which are true on the PC are not true on a console. On the PC there is a lot of "stuff" between the graphics API (OpenGL/D3D) and the actual hardware. Stuff which all causes inefficiencies, which includes for example: D3D Runtime->D3D DDI->Windows->User/Kernel mode switching->WDM device drivers->AGP command routing etc->Chip.
Xbox on the other hand is like: D3D->Chip.

3. nVidia themselves say there should be no big differences in performance of the APIs on the PC with *fair* tests. In fact if you do have a test case I''m sure they''d love to test the code. If there is a difference, then its just a difference between their OpenGL driver code and their D3D driver code - which if there were a significant difference would mean a simple change.

4. Make sure you''re not comparing *generic* D3D code to OpenGL code *nVidia specific* performance extensions, that''s comparing different things. On the Xbox, the Direct3D version exposes those same extended features as the NV OpenGL extensions and more.

5. PLEASE don''t let this turn into another advocacy war!.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

i''m not, i was just wondering of OGL was supported on xbox - nothing more, nothing less. the reason spung to mind not only because of the geforce3, but also the win2k kernel.

thanks for the answer though.

Although the XBox doesn''t come with OpenGL support, there''s nothing stopping someone from writing an OpenGL implementation (unless there''s a clause in the contract with Microsoft which specifically forbids it ...). Supposedly, the XBox supports coding directly to the hardware.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

unless there''s a clause in the contract with Microsoft which specifically forbids it

AFAIK, there is such a clause.

- AH

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!