• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Guy

So, I want to learn graphics programming... (redux)

This topic is 6023 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

NOTE: I'd already posted this thread, and I wasn't getting any responses, so I rewrote this starting post and added some more information. I'm really interested in learning graphics programming. I want to learn how to write a full graphics engine on the Linux platform. The Linux detail is not all that important, which is why I decided not to post this on the Unix forum. This is much more about learning software and hardware graphics programming. I'm very interested in software rendering using nothing but straight code from scratch. I want to get a lot of the basics for that down and try to use it with some OpenGL and get more advanced in that. To learn this, I'm reading the tutorials over at The 3d Coding Black Hole, which I really suggest. (http://pages.infinit.net/jstlouis/3dbhole/) I've looked near and far for some articles on this, and I have looked into the 3d graphics programming site here on GDNET. Can anyone show me to a good book (I already know about the GL Red Book, but I would like to know where I can get the PDF), site, or ANYTHING related to this? I'm also interested in, like I said, OpenGL, but I'm holding off from that for just a short while (not too long, but long enough). I know a little Allegro (I can draw shapes on the screen), but I haven't used that in months. I want to learn SDL, but I don't know how to use it on Mandrake Linux with GCC-- I'll post some other time about that on the right forum. Again, I want to know how to do software gfx programming as well. I did briefly look into the DUMB engine-- a modified Doom engine-- but I don't know how much that will help me at the time being. I'd appreciate any help I can get, and any talk from people more experienced in this than myself. Thanx. Edited by - Some Guy on December 28, 2001 4:00:31 AM

Advertisement
If you want to learn graphics from the ground up then the starting point is Computer Graphics: Principles and Practices by Foley and company. The 2nd edition was published in 1990 and republished with correction in 1996. Certainly things have changed a lot since 1990, but if you are looking for a starting point to build a firm foundation that is what I recommend.

Look at the recent sdl tutorials for windows, and use that as a starting point for using sdl. The code is pretty much cross-platform. Also there are SDL tutorials on the sdl site. Also nehe''s tutorials have been ported to use sdl. To get it to work with gcc on mandrake try downloading the sdl-dev rpm. I am currently using sdl and opengl to make a completely cross-platform source for my game. Do a search on google for the opengl red book and nehe''s tutorials are good. Also rhino''s (opengl game programming) opengl book is good.

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.

quote:
Original post by TheRealMAN11
Do a search on google for the opengl red book and nehe''s tutorials are good.

Yeah, that''s funny. I went recently to google and typed "The Red Book." I did not realize there are so many books called the Red Book. They''re all a bunch of self-help kinda stuff, too. I don''t want prozac on a page, I want OpenGL in a book!

Seriously, I''ll look into all this. And can I find Computer Graphics: Principles and Practices at a real store like Barnes & Noble or Borders, and is the book real hardcore technical? I make it known that I don''t order anything online. Also on that subject, there''s a book called (I think it''s called this, anyway) 3D Game Engine Design: A Practical Approach-- though I''m not sure if the subtitle is correct; something like that. I found this book once at Barnes & Noble, and it was THE LAST COPY IN THE WHOLE STORE. What''s more, I didn''t have the money at that time to pay for it. It looks really good, but what''s your opinion on it and where can I find it guarunteed in stock?

I''d appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!