• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drdarkon

Trouble creating a DX8 shell help please

This topic is 6021 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey... I''m using the tutorials presented in the articles and resources section. I am currently looking into the ID3DX sprite interface. I''m using Gamasutra''s tutorial called "2D Programming in a 3D World: Developing a 2D Game Engine Using DirectX 8 Direct3D" but my problem is that I''m not sure how all the code fits together as their is no option to download his source. I understand the code in it''s parts yet I''m not sure how it all fits together in a program. Does anyone know where I could find an example of this? Also where can I download the Direct X 8.1 SDK as I only have version 8.0. I tried from microsoft and it is a big zip file that just extracts but doesnt install itself... - Jesse

Advertisement
quote:

Also where can I download the Direct X 8.1 SDK as I only have version 8.0. I tried from microsoft and it is a big zip file that just extracts but doesnt install itself...

That self extracting .exe/,zip doesn''t start the install itself - you need to use file explorer and go to the location it extracted itself to. You''ll find a subfolder in there called Dxf, inside that there should be a setup.exe icon, double click that to start installation.

Working your way through some of the tutorials and the documentation in the DX8.1 SDK for Direct3D and DirectGraphics in general should give you a better idea of how the GamaSutra code fits together (some knowledge of D3D setup in general).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!